General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 Sensor Question

Old 02-21-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default O2 Sensor Question

So, I'm pretty sure that I have an o2 sensor code being thrown. I was thinking. Instead of replacing it, would it be able to be cleaned with CRC Electronic Cleaner, like the MAF sensor, instead of replacing it? I don't know. Could be a dumb question, but doesn't hurt to ask, I guess. I'd rather try that than go drop $36+shipping on a new sensor.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
So, I'm pretty sure that I have an o2 sensor code being thrown. I was thinking. Instead of replacing it, would it be able to be cleaned with CRC Electronic Cleaner, like the MAF sensor, instead of replacing it? I don't know. Could be a dumb question, but doesn't hurt to ask, I guess. I'd rather try that than go drop $36+shipping on a new sensor.
pretty sure? did you scan it? Is it pre or post cat O2 sensor?I believe your car has 4 O2 sensors. You might want to check a few things before you replace anything.

Some other things that may cause O2 sensor codes is clogged cat, clogged injector, bad spark, or bad fuel/air mixture.

I've heard from people that you can't really clean O2 sensors to make them work again. But I never believe most people. I never tried it myself so I really don't know.

There's some good information in the following links...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...test+o2+sensor

http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/catfailure/
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it's the o2 sensor. The guy I bought it from assured me of it. Also, since my car's an OBD1 car, I only have 2 o2 sensors and they're before the cat (even though I don't have one). Could a bad exhaust leak right in front of the o2 sensor also cause it to throw the code? Cause I've got a horrible leak at the connection from the header to the y-pipe that I need to try and get taken care of today.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
Yeah, it's the o2 sensor. The guy I bought it from assured me of it. Also, since my car's an OBD1 car, I only have 2 o2 sensors and they're before the cat (even though I don't have one). Could a bad exhaust leak right in front of the o2 sensor also cause it to throw the code? Cause I've got a horrible leak at the connection from the header to the y-pipe that I need to try and get taken care of today.
Yeah... fix the exhaust leak... The O2 can't measure what it can't see...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

I figured the exhaust leak was probably causing it, but wanted to know if cleaning an o2 sensor would help anything, I guess. Maybe to just help prolong the life of them.

Search this Thread