General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High idle while moving

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle while moving

sorry if its been asked, but every thread ive read about high idle refers to idling high while stopped.

the past few weeks my car has developed a idle problem where if i push in the clutch or throw it in neutral while moving the idle would hover around 1600 rpms. blipping the throttle does nothing to fix this. when i slow down and stop, the itll drop to 1100 for a second or two before settling down to 800ish.

i have no codes related to any sensors (aside for rear o2s that dont exist anymore) and ive checked for leaks around the tb. maf has also been cleaned, car has been seafoamed, plugs recently changed, etc.

so... any ideas?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all in the tune i guess...mine did the same thing. speed told me its normal to prevent killing it when you do come to a stop. I said i dont give a **** what its suppose to do i want the damn thing to idle down as soon as i push the clutch in (no matter what the speed). So they tuned it again and it was good for awhile, but then the last time i had it out (right before winter) it started doing it again..sorry for the ramble but i'd say its in the tune
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

hmm, well, im on stock tune. lts and ory went in over the summer, along with ported tb and maf. been dd'ing it the whole time and its only started the past few weeks. ill have it tuned in a couple months, but id still like to know whats could be causing it.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, i'd get a tune as soon as you can. You will pick up at least 10 more RWHP and be alot safer on the motor. A tune is always recommended after those upgrades
Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

so today driving back from work the idle problem suddenly fixed itself, and would drop to ~ 1000 like its supposed to when i pushed the clutch in while moving. however, after picking my dog up from the vet it started idling high again, then fixed itself half way home.

is my car possessed or what?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Check with your tuner and see if he can find anything. I was going to say your problem was a vacume leak until it fixed itself.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine does the exact same thing, only this was after my tune. and mine's not a vaccuum leak either. from what i've researched, there's something in the tune called IAC throttle follower and throttle cracker. i'm pretty sure that's my problem. but if you're on stock tune, then i don't know...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

my car does this same thing now
i will be getting it tuned hopefully next week. we'll see how it goes i guess
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i push my clutch in my cars idle will go to about 1100 or 1200 rpms and stay there until i come to a complete stop. Then it'll go to around 800rpm's. My car has Lt's true dual exhaust and a lid and cold air intake and has been tuned.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

my POS just started doing this this week. so is the conclusion, its in the tune? I have had mine tuned about 6 months ago.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phantazn
so today driving back from work the idle problem suddenly fixed itself, and would drop to ~ 1000 like its supposed to when i pushed the clutch in while moving. however, after picking my dog up from the vet it started idling high again, then fixed itself half way home.

is my car possessed or what?

Mine also does the same thing from time to time. Sometimes it will correct its self if I turn the engine off and then turn it back on again.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

anymore input?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

ha might as well say mine does it tooo!! i hate the way it sounds too. seems like you're riding the gas on the way to a red light. so i just use the tranny to slow down. mines a stock tune also.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

My car does the same damn thing! Its so annoying. I put out a thread on this like a week ago and someone said to clean the throttle body. So I checked it out and sure enought it was dirty and gunky as hell, so I cleaned it. The issue still remains. I would really love to figure out what is wrong with my car.

My car is lid only.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I had that same condition happen also. I just happend to look under the car one day while idleing and found my exhaust had a leak in the y pipe. My tuner says that this can play havoc with the 02 signal that the computer sees and it tries to compensate by idleling higher. It is actually sucking outside air after each exhaust pulse is pushed out.

After getting it fixed no more problem.

Check for any exhaust leaks ahead of your 02 sensors, header gaskets, collector flanges, cracked exhaust pipes etc.

hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car does this to. I wonder why it does it while coasting in neutral and then idles normal when you come to a complete stop.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While rolling the idle will be up, its normal. My moms 5 spd sunfire does the same thing.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Tune can cause this if there is "idle saver" added. Your situation would be a slight vacuum leak somewhere. The reason it does it sometimes and not others is probably either heat related, or position related. Check the hose that runs behind your intake manifold. We found a crack/hole in mine and in a buddy of mines. Mine was where it branches off from one line to two. We fixed it with fuel lines from autozone and a T shaped connector, though the Y shape is what you should look for. They didn't have a Y in the size I needed.

That is what I would look for first. My crack/hole was right where the line bent, so it would be sealed at times, and wide open at other times.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope you are not to lean with your "ported MAF". Good luck with that

Quick Reply: High idle while moving