General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP, QUICK! Bad fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP, QUICK! Bad fuel Pump?

Ok, I need some help here. I was driving my 95 LT1 Z28 today, and at first, taking off in first felt like taking off in 3rd, no power. I was noticing that I had very little power, and she didn't sound quite right. Then it started sputtering, and I was begining to feel like a geo metro would make a better time in the 1/4 mile than me. There a chance this is the fuel pump? Or that the filter or something else is clogged? It just felt like I was losing power last night, and today, it is really bad. what about a distributor cap? I have heard horror stories about the opti, but since I have not even broken 60,000 miles on the car, it seems kind of early for that. Is the fuel pump internal or external? Oh yeah, I do not think it is the sparks or wires, I just replaced all those a couple of thousand miles ago, so that takes care of one of the three things it usually is (air, fuel, and spark, though almost never air...).
HELP!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

does it idle smooth and get worse as you accelerate ? i had probs w/ my opti ( mileage doesnt really matter you gotta realize its 13 yrs old.) . if you have a guage check the fuel pressure while its running open the throttle body up and see if the pressure drops if so most likely filter. if that dont fix it pump then . pump is internal but its easier to pull back the carpet and cut an access hole instead of dropping the whole tank . do a search on fuel pump replacement im sure it'll come up.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

I would say, check the fuel pressure, change fuel filter, test injector ohms (12.2 or something not sure) then if its got the original plugs and wires I would check and test them.. then look at the opti.