General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stop Leak Engine Fluids Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stop Leak Engine Fluids Safe?

With regard to treating engine oil leaks from the main rear seal, I've gotten mixed suggestions, with some saying to use a quality stop leak fluid like Lukas seal fluid, and the rest saying that using stop leak fluids for the engine poses a risk in disrupting oil pressure or clogging cylinders.

For a '99 5.7L V8 LS1, is it safe to pour a stop leak fluid into the engine for a minor leak at the rear main seal?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
With regard to treating engine oil leaks from the main rear seal, I've gotten mixed suggestions, with some saying to use a quality stop leak fluid like Lukas seal fluid, and the rest saying that using stop leak fluids for the engine poses a risk in disrupting oil pressure or clogging cylinders.

For a '99 5.7L V8 LS1, is it safe to pour a stop leak fluid into the engine for a minor leak at the rear main seal?

Thanks.
haha...no such thing as "mechanic in a can" ...fix it the right way.
good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol mechanic in a can, anyways sometimes it will work but thats the risk your taking when you try the cheap way. it doesnt always work out, however lucas makes some great products so I wouldnt hesitate to use it for a temporary fix until I had the cash or time to fix it correctly
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Honestly, stop leak is just a bandaidm that isnt garunteed to work lol, i agree with toronto, fix it the right way.

Quick Reply: Stop Leak Engine Fluids Safe?