General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS engine consumables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS engine consumables?

Hi I am getting an LS engine built up for me I have been thinking long term about what parts may or may not need replacing as time goes on.

What parts are known to need replacing before 100k miles?

Now I know this is very open question and depends on the engine, how its tuned, how much HP it makes and how it is used.

Now for me, the engine is going to be 416 using #799 heads being driven by a stock LS2 cam, it will be going into a car which will weigh around 2800lbs, and it will be a daily driver.

For instance I remember reading somewhere here that stock springs should be good for 100k miles, now I imagine that a set of PAC-1218 springs bolted up 1.8x ratio rockers being driven by a stock LS2 camshaft may not last quite as long, but how long would I expect?

And what about other parts like water pumps and oil pumps?

Hopefully you experienced guys here can give me a good idea of what lasts and what needs watching.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be safer to change the parts that go out from normal wear and tear
Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you are saying but I was thinking along the lines of what experiences other people have had with their set ups.

That and maybe some advice on some good books to get on the subject of maintenance would be nice!