General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulsing lights--Is this normal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulsing lights--Is this normal???

When I start my car up (01 SS), the light are pulsing. Almost like how old cars headlights would do while it idles. Tapping the gas does not help it, it does not even change the wave length. All my light do it. At night you can see it really good. The interior lights, the headlight, tail lights, and even the dash board light. It goes away after a few min. I can't say how long it's been doing it, because I don't drive my car that often (OOH YEAH Driveway Queen ).

Is this normal, or do I need to have my car looked at? When I first noticed it, I thought the alt was going bad, but the gauge showed it as still being good.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

UH--NO..NOT NORMAL..maybe your alternator is going....?? not good with electrical stuff,really..
Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

I had this same issue with my 01 SS. I thought it was the alternator but I change it. It ended up being the Exciter Wire(The small wire that runs from the Alternator to the PCM)
Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

gahh I hate that little wire, it is like stretched to the limit too! Always afraid I'm going to break it by accident when I'm under the hood - my V6 has the alternator on top which makes it easy to get to but that wire is right there begging to be broken.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kraemer94
I had this same issue with my 01 SS. I thought it was the alternator but I change it. It ended up being the Exciter Wire(The small wire that runs from the Alternator to the PCM)

Aight, I'll look into it when I get home.

What did you do to fix it?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Launching!

I replaced it. Check first it might just be the connector, Like SparkyJJO said that little wire is stretched pretty good and it might be lose in the connector. But I replaced the complete wire and connector on mine and it fixed the issue.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Said wire has been located. But I didn't see a connector. Does anything have to be removed to locate the connector?

It looked as if the altnator was hard wired into the harness, and I know that ain't right.