General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Guage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery Guage Problem

ok when i start up my car the guage on the dash is fine and after about 5 minutes of driving in traffic because of my school my guage goes down to about 10 when im just sitting there and it goes up when i press the gas (i guess you could say its acting like an rpm meter by the way it looks) and when i start it up later in the day it works perfectly fine. but i just replaced the alternator about 2 months ago what is the problem???
Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One quick checis to see what your battery and alt is putting out while the car is running if the gague and the battery have the same then you know that the gague is reading right.
But it could be the battery, Depending on how often you run your car or if you have anything that draws power while your car is at rest. Because it is normal for the battery to loose some power over time and then the Alt will charge it back up.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue shortly before the battery died - I'd bring it somewhere and get a free load test. Eliminate the battery first.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X3 the battery sounds like its on its way out. Id get it checked out before you get stranded or burn up your alternator.