General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window motor question

I installed a new passenger window motor last spring and have had problem with it since i installed it. It will go up halfway and just stop until i jiggle the door by the handle. I have to do it somewhat firmly and then it will start to go up. It doesnt go slow but goes normal speed and then just stops. I am getting the car ready to sell and want to fix this problem. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Last edited by Jefro6996; 04-01-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM

I have no idea on how to fix this problem, I'am just concerned cause I'm also getting ready to replace the passenger motor. Hope you figure out whats wrong with it.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what the motors do when they are going out...maybe you got a faulty motor?

Also the WS6STORE sells a new harness for the passenger window with larger guage wire because the wiring is small and thats why the pass. window goes slower than the drivers in some cars...some things to look into.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope its not a bad motor, because it worked fine when the door panel was off and then when i put it back on it would stop halfway. It still goes very fast and I am going to be replacing the driver side one now since it wont even move a 1/16''. I might just pull the panel off and see if the alignment got screwed up when i put the door panel back on.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes - its happened to me. If it always stops at the same point, it may be a sign that the motor is almost bad and the mechanism is rubbing somewhere creating resistance that it can't overcome.

Check the two metal angles with felt tips on the top of the door. (Each angle bolts in to the top of the door and the felt pads touch the window.) If those are hitting, you may be able to back them off - just a small bit to solve your immediate problem.... then sell!

(If you moved those angles/pads when you did your motor, they may be more of the problem and your motor might not be so bad off.)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

I just replaced mine. The motor has a heat resistor circuit breaker that when the resistor gets to hot its cuts off the voltage going to the motor. Causes motor to slow down and stop or just stop. After waiting a bit, the resistor cools down, and the window works again.

Causes of resistor getting to hot include: worn rollers or poorly lubed rollers, loose connections to glass or scissor mechanism, broken or missing rivets on motor, loose connections on switchs or plugs, a worn out motor, or cheap rebuild motor made with cheap components.

Best bet is to buy a new motor, not rebuilt. Use plenty of silicone or grease on rollers to cut down on friction.