General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Electrical probs, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical probs, HELP!

This problem has started the last few weeks and has continued to get worse daily it seems. The car starts and runs just fine but if I drive on the hwy for 20 mins or more and then come to a stop the rpm's drop lower and lower and it dies. While they are dropping and I give it gas it will not rev at all most of the time or will try but feels like it's missing and running on just a few cylinders. After it dies it will sometimes start but idle low and will not rev at all. If I let it set for 5 mins or more sometimes it will restart and run fine but eventually go through all that again. I have driven it the last couple of days and it hasn't died but the rpm's will drop down and raise and has a hesitation when taking off at times also. Checked the alternator, it showed 14+ volts but would very slowly go down. Checked the alternator amps and they showed 16 on startup and 4 at most at idle so I swapped the alternator tonight, a buddy had a newly rebuilt one from pep boys, but it still has the same problem. The pep boys one showed around 18-20 amps at idle this time and the battery stayed at 14+ volts at idle. Swapped the battery just for the hell of it and it didn't change anything. When running I put on the headlights and a/c and the car died, restarted fine though.

Any ideas?