General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise from engine (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from engine (VIDEO)

Well, I'm new to the whole LS1 thing, but I'm curious to what this noise is. It is a rattling noise from the bottom end, it is louder on cold starts, almost nonexistent when completely warm, but it is there a little. Is it piston slap...it sounds like something else to me. I pray it is normal or just the belts and pulley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItn6Z8bt24
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

All you have to do is turn the radio up and the problem is fixed.

Could be piston slap,could be a lifter,could be a bunch of stuff,but if it was anything major I would think it would do it all the time not just when its cool..
Guy here has a 02 SS that was making a good bit of noise until it warmed up and his ended up being a lifter.

good looking car btw
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

tough to hear it, but kind of sounds like the noise mine had been making. Just figured out yesterday it's in my ac compressor somewhere. I took the ac belt off and it totally went away. Which is good and bad. Good because it's not the motor, bad because it's looking like it's probably expensive. See my other thread called ac compressor rebuild in this section.

BTW, the belts on this car are the easiest to remove ever. 15mm wrench I think it was to lever the main belt tensioner loose and the main belt comes right off giving you access to take the ac belt off the same way, then pop the main belt back on. There is a sticker under the hood that shows how to route the belt back on.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Default AC Noise

I found the same thing out. The sound was like something metal rubbing around the ac compressor. 10 mins took off the ac belt. put the main belt back on problem gone. Now I am looking into the upper pulley. feels loose and worn. I am going to replace that before I replace the compressor. Cheaper. Will let you know.

98 SS Conv. Black #1620, Cold air Intake, K&N Filter. Mainly stock.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Video isnt working anymore....