General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing shifter boot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing shifter boot?

Hey, my buddy has an 02 SS and he was putting a short stick in it. I know the boot just pops out but I'm not sure exactlly how to do it. I just don't want to break the plastic clips. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Open the center counsel and remove pull the change holder and remove the 2 bolts that were under the change holder. Then theres two more in there towards the milddle on the inside of the center counsil. Then under the dash theres one bolt on each side under the dash on the counsil. Then first you remove the plastic by the shifter. Then you pull the larger part of the counsil. But make sure that your parking brake is raised up all the way when removing it. You may not need to even take the larger part of the counsil if you have room. And also dont forget to unplug the wire connectors for the TCS, cigg lighter and also the ash tray light.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

in order to change shifter you have to do what ^ ls1crazy said, you cant just take off the boot, you have to basically take out the whole center console

here you go http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=12
(even if its not a pro 5.0 installation is basically the same)
hope that helps
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKadrock511
Hey, my buddy has an 02 SS and he was putting a short stick in it. I know the boot just pops out but I'm not sure exactlly how to do it. I just don't want to break the plastic clips. Thanks for any help.
Are you installing just the stick or a whole shifter assembly?

In either case, the boot pops out if you squeeze the sides of the boot (plastic ring) together, then the clips pop out. Its easy to break the plastic retainer ring, so be careful.

Actually, you can install the whole shifter assembly with the center console in the car, but its a tougher job to do. Removing the console is easier overall, IMO.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I am just replacing the stick so i don't think removing the console is nesesary. I did this on my ws6 but couldn't remember exactly how. I just didn't want to do it wrong and break the plastic ring. Thanks again
Old 04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

o wow, i didnt read your original post very well. it does say just the stick

Quick Reply: Removing shifter boot?