General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tire Thump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire Thump?

On sporatic occasions, I've detected a very faint thumping sound that follows the RPM of the wheels in my '99 TA. It sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side. I've assumed that it might be some debris stuck in the tire tread, since I don't hear it all the time. I had the car on a lift, and made sure brake components weren't loose, but there was a slight wiggle room at the rear wheels. By 'wiggle room,' I mean I could feel a slight play when I yank sideways on the rear wheels. Could the lugnuts be loose, or is it more likely to be the bearings?

Given the general description, which does this associate more with, tire/wheel/shock condition or the rear end?

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 04-14-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be the bearing if the lugs arent stripped or anything...i mean that could be your issue and the studs/lugnuts are stripped...it doesnt hum?...also could be a tire out of round...put it on a balancer and spin it up...
Old 04-15-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Definitely no humming. It rarely happens, but when it does, it's unmistakably a thumping or clicking sound that follows in frequency with the RPM of the wheels. I only detect it when I'm slowing in neutral in front of a red light because it's so low that the sound of the engine easily overpowers it during acceleration. When it was on the lift, the mechanics couldn't find anything except for the slight looseness of the rear wheels when yanked sideways, which they said were caused by bad bearings. But I've never heard any grinding sounds from the wheels, it's only this thump sound that I'm interested in.

What do you mean by 'stripped lugnuts'?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we see this often here at work...a lugnut can get stripped inside...my guys will put them back on and they will seem tight but in reality they didnt go all the way down so the wheel wiggles slightly on the hub...however you should be able to see it do that...

look into the wheel being out of round
Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

OK. Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure I check out the lugnuts and tire roundness when the car's on the lift tomorrow.

A friend mentioned to me that a deteriorating rear end could also emit a clicking noise. Is this true, and if so, exactly how would it sound? Would it follow in frequency with the wheel RPM?