General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting problem, thought i fixed it, but nope!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting problem, thought i fixed it, but nope!!

Alright last year i was having problems with the car starting, basically the red positive cable was corroded coupled with fact i had a 7 year old battery. Anyway i bought a new battery and cleaned the positive terminal and car was fine. 6 months later which is today, the car is starting to do the same thing and basically the quick fix was tightening the positive cable a bit more and that always worked. Well today i come out and the car won't start and when i mean won't start is this.

Everything seems fine, lights come on, gauges in accessory position, i put the key in the ignition and once i make that turn to start while pressing the clutch, everything goes dark and no sound, just silence!!! The battery is brand new, im suspecting its the positive terminal. Im pretty pissed off right now since im having a bad week and its only wednesday.

Should i rule out vats since i lose all power? im having it towed in the morning its stuck in the parking lot at work right now.

How much are new battery cables?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

I was having the same problem. I had an old battery...so I replaced it....cleaned the corroded positive terminal and sprayed battery protector on i and in the rubber protector, replaced the battery terminal bolts also. Its been good for about 2 months and I keep a check on the terminal. But if you do need to replace them they are on www.gmpartsdirect.com for $38
Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i got the car back and it was exactly what i thought it was. The insulation needed to be cut a bit since im running my amp wire there and made things tight and wasn't making proper connections at times and my terminal bolt needed replacing.