General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Car shakes and smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Car shakes and smoke!

Hey everybody, I just wanna give thanks in advance for whoever helps me out, it's greatly appreciated. So I have a 1999 Trans Am and I was coming out of a baseball game parking lot, which was taking forever! All of a sudden the car starts shaking and smoke started coming out of the tailpipes and the CES light came on. I went to get the Codes and I got three:

1. P0137- O2 sensor low volts Bank 1 Sensor 2
2. P0200- Injector Circuit open
3. P0300- Random Cylinder Misfire

I took it to the mechanic and he said he thinks it might be electrical but he had it for 8 hours and said he couldn't find anything. He said he drove it around and it was fine. I drove it around and it was fine too, but the next day it was even worse. It usually starts to shake when I'm idling and smoke comes out of the tailpipe. This isn't a constant thing and the CES light came off too, but then the car shook and it came back on. I have no idea what's going on and I hope someone can help me out or at least give me some direction. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would start by replacing that o2 sensor. If the voltage is low, indicating lean, it's gonna dump more fuel. And if it dumps too much, it's gonna misfire and shake.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default thanks!

Hey intense3123, thanks for the advice, everything does seem to point to the O2 sensor, but what about the Injector circuit open code? Any insight on that one? I figure they're somehow related, maybe that the injector is stuck open but why would it run lean then? thanks again!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would change out your O2, and then check all of your plugs and wires.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

always sucks when people say just try an o2 when they are like a hundred bucks lol. Not that it isn't it, just saying from experience, it's easy to guess when it's not your money.

Thoroughly check all around the engine for all your vacuum hoses to be connected and not cracked as good as you can. I remember on my 94 tbird SC running funny everybody saying replace the o2 sensors at a hunj each, turned out to be a split in the egr tube.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I would def pull the plugs and check them first.