General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine (LS1) overheating..help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine (LS1) overheating..help please

Hey guys, I just took my car out from storage, everything runs nicely except that it's overheating. The engine runs at temperatures around 100-110 degrees (212-220 F). I am woundering if it's normal since the past years it usually ran much lower then that. I flushed the coolant and replaced it.... same result. I am thinking of having a look at the thermostat and change it for a 160....what do you all think.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

if you only drive the car for fun then put a 160* thermostat in it

if its more of a daily in the summer months then put a 185*
if your motor runs at too low of a temp you will run into a rich running problem
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleaning the condensor out in front of the radiator every 3-4 years is worth its weight in gold. My engine started getting hot when I would put the air on because after 4-5 years of driving it was almost completely caked up with little rocks, sticks, grass and other debris. I got a huge pile of crap out of it when I cleaned it. Ran cool as a cucumber after that. Very big difference, like 20-30 degrees with the A/C on in heavy traffic on a 90* day. Before I cleaned it out the temp needle would literally keep going right into the red if I let it, with the A/C on in city driving conditions. Now it won't go past the 215 mark no matter how I drive with the A/C on.