General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C Problems (Not Cooling)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
When I put the gauge on the low side it reads in the red. (Alert) If it needed refridgerant wouldn't it read low? Besides, I attempted to add more last week but it wouldn't take it.
Thats because the compressor is not running. It will read whats called standing pressure if the compressor is not running.
And it also will not take more refrigerant if the compressor is not running.

You need to find out why you're not getting 12 volts to the compressor clutch.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Thats because the compressor is not running. It will read whats called standing pressure if the compressor is not running.
And it also will not take more refrigerant if the compressor is not running.

You need to find out why you're not getting 12 volts to the compressor clutch.
But the compressor is running and the clutch is engaged. It just stays engaged the entire time the a/c is on.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grey03mach1
But the compressor is running and the clutch is engaged. It just stays engaged the entire time the a/c is on.

Well if you're sure the inner hub of the compressor is turning, then I guess it's not pumping.

It might be hard to see the inner hub of the compressor.

If your compressor is bad you'll need to do something about all the trash that came out of it and into the condenser, most places won't warranty a compressor if you don't buy a new condenser with it. You'll also need an accumulator and orifice tube, plus some flush and oil.

And if you do all this work yourself you can't skip out on using a vacuum pump before putting new refrigerant in the system.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Well if you're sure the inner hub of the compressor is turning, then I guess it's not pumping.

It might be hard to see the inner hub of the compressor.

If your compressor is bad you'll need to do something about all the trash that came out of it and into the condenser, most places won't warranty a compressor if you don't buy a new condenser with it. You'll also need an accumulator and orifice tube, plus some flush and oil.

And if you do all this work yourself you can't skip out on using a vacuum pump before putting new refrigerant in the system.
Sounds like a job for the professionals.