General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Here is one for ya, rattle in the dash/firewall

Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Here is one for ya, rattle in the dash/firewall

At first startup you don't hear it, but after a bit you can here a fairly rapid plastic-sounding tapping/rattling deep in the dash someplace.

Not coming from the motor, you don't hear it outside the car, it doesn't change with RPMs (though going faster drowns it out ) and it did it with both the old motor and the new one.

Not the blower, turned that off and it was still there.

If I jerk the car a bit (like at a stop I I release then hit the brake real quick) it'll sometimes go away, however recently it doesn't go away much anymore.

When it is tapping/vibrating, you can hear motor noise more clearly, almost like there is an opening to the engine compartment. When the noise isn't there, it sounds like a solid wall between you and the motor like normal.

Any ideas? Anyone heard of this? I was just dealing with it at first since it was pretty minor but now it is getting on my nerves.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest taking your dash off and look for any wiring harness clips or peices that have broken off and are just getting thrown around. really not sure but i will do research and let you know when i figure it out.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah that's gonna be the hard part and a pain to tear the thing apart. I knew I could just tear it down and look for it but I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone had some clues as to what it might be so I could possibly avoid tearing the whole thing apart on a wild goose chase.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hA ha yea and thats when you mess up some crap but i bet its not too hard and you cant second guess yourself or youll forget how to do sumthin or forget how to put it together again. lol

Search this Thread