General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window guider

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window guider

Alright, i have a question for you guys. I'm having this problem with the window guider (the one thats on the guider itself that goes up and down on the window). What i have been trying is making a hole on the "nut" (window guider), i really don't know what's it called, and use a self tapping screw to hold it back together but its not coming out so well cause ive been through my second one. The one your going to see, i got it from a junk yard, its really damaged, so im using it as a toy to mess with. So my question is, what kind of info can you all help me with cause its really annoying... thx.

(im using sneaky7980 photo for the "guider")

"window guider"

"guider"
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Do yourself a favor and make it easier by just buying a new window regulator and rerivet it to the window....... It's not going to help by trying to "fix" an already not the greatest design..... Pull out the whole window and regulator and drill off the head of the rivets ....... get new rivets and a cheap riveter and do the whole thing back to stock....... I have done quite a few window motor and regulator replacments on camaros and trust me when I say it really is easier to do it this way....... You can get new window regulators on ebay cheap all over the place...... The only prob you might run into is finding a big enough riverer and the right size rivets........ Even a GM parts store can get you the right size rivets cheap........ Don't over think the fix though.....
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

From your description, it sounds like the roller you are trying to replace is the one attached to the window? If so, changing the regulator won't help.

Doorman products sells special replacement window rollers that have a bolt/nut allowing you to do the attachment: https://www.dormanproducts.com Just search for "window roller"

They list a special one for firebird/camaro, but I don't see a post. Maybe it just pops on/off the existing post? (From the looks of this picture and your picture - this is the part you are looking for.) https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0

Most local auto parts stores should be able to get the parts.

Hopefully this will work out for you. If it does, please let me know. I will need to do the same change soon. (I've replaced my regulators - which are good but will still need to replace the roller attached the window channel.)
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem. I drilled it out, attached a stud and then used a nut to attach it. Essentially the same thing as above.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

After a few weeks, the "window guider" broke, i did the same as LGOBRAVES. now im having a problem with the window going up, it gets stuck at a certain point and i have to bring it back down. not only that but now my window moves forward and backwards... and it even moves forward when i break! how lame...!!

EDIT: as in forward and backwards, i mean as in it slides towards the mirror and back...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lgobraves
I had the same problem. I drilled it out, attached a stud and then used a nut to attach it. Essentially the same thing as above.
I did the same thing and it works like a charm
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I did the same thing and it works like a charm
i dont really understand what yall are doing, what are yall drilling into?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Ok, let me get this together, i mean i know some of yall said to just get a window regulator but if i can do something about it and not pay a bit more then just fixing a nut... ok... on the picture that im going to show (where the blue circle is at) is where the "window guider" (nut) goes. im guessing that since i tried drilling a hole in the "window guider" and i made some wedges so i can add a screw to it, but guess the pressure of the window going up and down was to much that it broke... now my window is sliding to the direction im driving... when i break it moves forward and when i accelerate it moves back... thats if i press on the gas.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need the regulator. It's not even part of the regulator. I have an extra one without the window if you want to buy it. I had the guider welded on. All you have to do is remove your window from the rail with the guider on it by drilling out the rivets then attach the one I have with some small nuts and bolts. Or go to a junkyard, like I did, and find a 93-02 F-body with a complete door and take the whole window out. Did it at one of those "you-pull" places. Charged me $12 for the window.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Dood001
Ok, let me get this together, i mean i know some of yall said to just get a window regulator but if i can do something about it and not pay a bit more then just fixing a nut... ok... on the picture that im going to show (where the blue circle is at) is where the "window guider" (nut) goes. im guessing that since i tried drilling a hole in the "window guider" and i made some wedges so i can add a screw to it, but guess the pressure of the window going up and down was to much that it broke... now my window is sliding to the direction im driving... when i break it moves forward and when i accelerate it moves back... thats if i press on the gas.
Right - there is a lot of pressure on that point. It is a single stress point that restrains the (heavy piece of) glass from moving forwards and backwards in the door. Your nut/bolt repair will only be as strong as the sheet metal that the bolt goes through, so spyterus' welding suggestion should be the way to go. That will give you a much stronger bond. If that fails, you'll need to replace the rail that the glass is attached to, which will come with a new glider.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Is there anywhere i can find a replacement for the circular plastic piece that actually goes into the track ?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Wiktorek25
Is there anywhere i can find a replacement for the circular plastic piece that actually goes into the track ?
Yea, but it looks discontinued! Its part number 74408 on the 6th page of this: http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...70_W_Part2.pdf

I can no longer see it in Doorman's part search, but it looks like someone still has them on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Window guider