General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery/Starter cables replacement but upgrade them at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Battery/Starter cables replacement but upgrade them at the same time

Can someone recommend a good upgrade to the factory cables? I do have a 1,000w amp and one 12" woofer with 4 Matts speakers and tweeters up front. 145amp alternator also. I see all these Big 3 cable kits but I don't know which guage to get. Is there a good upgrade kit out there for my set up?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2023, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The power cable from your battery to the starter only draws power for the few seconds needed to start your car. The rest of the time power is not running through it. In fact after you start the car you can remove your battery, provided that your alternator is functioning properly.

What you should really look into is a deep cycle battery. When you are running accesories your battery may not get enough charging power to both run the add ons and charge your battery. The battery just starts the car. The battery power cables are not really a factor in your set up.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
The power cable from your battery to the starter only draws power for the few seconds needed to start your car. The rest of the time power is not running through it. In fact after you start the car you can remove your battery, provided that your alternator is functioning properly.

What you should really look into is a deep cycle battery. When you are running accesories your battery may not get enough charging power to both run the add ons and charge your battery. The battery just starts the car. The battery power cables are not really a factor in your set up.
I don’t have any issues with power at all for anything. I just have my engine out if the car so I’m replacing a lot of original 25 year old items.

I have a beast of a battery and no issues.

What’s this Big 3 cable kits in reading about? Why do people upgrade to those kits?

Is that something I should get or just get factory replacements?

Quick Reply: Battery/Starter cables replacement but upgrade them at the same time