General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

roaring coming from the front.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default roaring coming from the front.

Alright. I'm tired of this, there has to be a solution. There is a roaring coming from what appears to be the front drivers side of my car. Oh yeah its a 02 WS6. I pulled the wheel, caliper, and rotor off. When I spin the hub it acts normal. It will spin about 1.5 to 2 rounds before being slowed to a stop by I guess the grease. The only thing I find odd is there is a slight noise when I spin it. Sounds like a dry bearing. The hub is very tight, no play at all. I unbolted the hub and spun it but I couldn't hear anything. When I bolted it back on it was there again. Could it be resonating through the car causing the roaring? Now when I spin the hub the noise is there but its not very very loud but its most defenatly there. There is also a very light knocking at low speeds coming from the front on the same side that has me baffled. Has anyone ever thought about installing a grease fitting in the front hubs before?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:14 AM

More than likely, it's your hub bearing and they can't be serviced. You just have to replace the assembly.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Yeah that I know. Really sux don't it! I have done the search and read the findings and i'm afraid it may be the bearing. Funny though. The car only has 45,XXX miles on it.
Thanks

Vinny
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vinny1
... The car only has 45,XXX miles on it.
Thanks

Vinny

Doesn't matter if the car has only 100 miles on it, one BIG pot hole hit and the bearing can be damaged at any time. Other times they seem to fail for no apparent reason - Crap happens.

You can get the assembly at one of the national parts places for around $130 or so. At least thats how much it was about a year ago.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Well the inner hub turns smoothly but there is a definate noise. not a very loud noise but a noise. I imagine this noise is amplyfied when driving the car.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Well I figured out what the roaring is. The tire! I have taken everything and inspected them as best I could even the tires. I rotated the tires and POOF. Gone from the front and now in the back just quieter. I instected the tire and even had it balanced but it came up clean. This thing had a terrible noise going slow speeds and as I would come to a stop it sounded like the breaks were grinding metal to metal. Damn. I rotate the tires and gone

Vinny
Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

your tires edges must be cupped

Search this Thread