General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust Ticking..? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Ticking..? Please Help!

For the life of me I can't find this noise. My Dad used to have a Jeep when I was a kid w/a hole in the exhaust somewhere that made the exact same noise ... but I took the car to the mechanic and he swears he can't find a hole.

The ticking goes more w/the load on the engine (more load = louder ticking), and it's very noticeable at lower rpms when the car is cold, but in the upper end, it dies down a bit.

I have pacesetters LTs, w/the blocked off AIR tubes and at first I thought it was one of the block off plates that was loose, but no cigar ... has anyone ever had this ??? It is honestly driving me insane. Please help!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
For the life of me I can't find this noise. My Dad used to have a Jeep when I was a kid w/a hole in the exhaust somewhere that made the exact same noise ... but I took the car to the mechanic and he swears he can't find a hole.

The ticking goes more w/the load on the engine (more load = louder ticking), and it's very noticeable at lower rpms when the car is cold, but in the upper end, it dies down a bit.

I have pacesetters LTs, w/the blocked off AIR tubes and at first I thought it was one of the block off plates that was loose, but no cigar ... has anyone ever had this ??? It is honestly driving me insane. Please help!
Start it, put it up in the air on a lift and feel around for it, or use smoke from a cigarette to find it. If its on the top part of any pipes there should be black marks on the frame or underside of the car over the pipes.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just get this car? My car has a similar sound, but I usually only hear it when passing cars because the sound reflects off. Also when you cam these cars they tend to make a sewing machine like tick throughout.. Not sure if this is what you have, just giving you a heads up. Good luck
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Did you just get this car? My car has a similar sound, but I usually only hear it when passing cars because the sound reflects off. Also when you cam these cars they tend to make a sewing machine like tick throughout.. Not sure if this is what you have, just giving you a heads up. Good luck
No put every mile she has on her. I do have forged pistons but it's not that same noise. This one is newer and hasn't been there the whole time.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know if this belongs in the external engine section??
Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after cold start up , mine sort of sounds like a sewing machine, or even a diesal , check your plug wires, ticking
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
after cold start up , mine sort of sounds like a sewing machine, or even a diesal , check your plug wires, ticking
Mine def sounds like a diesel for sure. It's bordering on ridiculous. Why check the plug wires?