General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Shake in the steering wheel...details inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shake in the steering wheel...details inside

Ok, so here's the deal. I was being immature and goofing off on a backroad. Lets just say that during a burnout I ended up in a ditch at the end of it all.

No damage to the body. No scrapes, no dents, no nothing. Well I start to drive away a little shaken (first time doing a longer burnout and I end up putting it into a ditch...so I'm a little freaked out.) but I start driving away, and all seems fine. But now, whenever I get up to about 57 mph the wheel starts to shake in my hand back and forth.

I'm guessing I knocked off a wheel weight and so its unbalanced. I plan on having it looked at soon...but just wondering what you're opinions are.

If you guys wanna do the whole "well you should have been more responsible" etc. thats fine. I know I messed up and it was a lack of experience that led to it. I'm just lucky I didn't damage anything when I went into it.

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First check to see if any weights are missing.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a balancing issue to me, but you could always check your wheel bearings, if they get worn bad enough it'll cause a vibration, there could be a number of things, but balancing is probably the most common, also check to see if you got any mud in the wheel or anything that could cause it to not be in balance, if so clean it out! a "small" amount of mud can cause a vibration

best of luck
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 transam had a bad shake in the steering wheel above 55 mph, and it was the wheels being out of balance. It shook bad.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

OK, thanks! That's what I thought, the thing rode like a dream before i put it in the ditch...

So I'm gonna do some looking tomorrow morning and find where the weight may have fallen off...

Any idea how much this might cost? Shouldn't be much I would expect
Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most likely knocked them out of balance. But you could have also bent a wheel, that will cause pretty good vibration, and that's harder to get rid of than if it's just out of balance.

Also it's a good idea to have someone check your alignment just to make sure that you didn't bend anything. I've seen people run off the road and bend a few things up that causes a vibration, but doesn't cause the steering wheel off center or cause it to pull.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to get that checked as well, better safe than sorry. Besides, I don't want uneven tire wear...and I think I may have have gotten something stuck in the bead, its got a slow leak in the front passenger side tire...so I'll have to have that checked out too...

Oh the price I pay to when a goof off goes bad