General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator / exciter wire / backfire / now this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator / exciter wire / backfire / now this!

Had a new motor put in the car, ran decent for about 3 weeks then out of the blue had random misfires out of the drivers side header - here is where the fun begins. Ok took it back up to the shop they fogged the motor discovered a little smoke coming from my intakes they didn't replace the intake gaskets so they swaped those out of nowhere. Off I go 45 min later bam bam misfire problem still continues.. I go home pull a spark plug BLACK AS NIGHT. Ok passenger side good normal burn. I replaced the plugs all of them seemed to do ok - oh wait 45 min later bam bam bam. I replaced the drivers side O2 sensor since it seemed that was black also compared to the passenger side. Ran good for about 200 miles BAM BAM really loud pops now. I droped the car off at the shop seems it happened so infrequently they couldn't find an issue? They said all sensors were working etc. I brought it home after 2 weeks of them finding nothing I noticed it only did it when my voltage droped seems as if it was running regular at around 13 amps ( I thought this was normal since it had been so long being without my car) but would drop down to almost the orange when it got warm and then started to "backfire" from there. The shop got me another alternater and I installed it seemed to run great for one day then the next day going to work I got on the gas a bit and noticed the check gauges light was on and my voltage was down in the orange again. I researced all of the threads I could find and took the battery to have it checked I then had replaced the exciter wire - no change it didn't charge it it's still down in the orange then I noticed it... There is a cluster of wires right by my clutch cylinder hydraulic line on the drives side back of the firewall that was touching the exhaust manifold... Burned to a crisp I see wires - damn I can't get this who knows the extent of the damage this may have caused I hope the pcm isn't fried due to this major short. Back to the shop it goes next week - I pray this is all the damage there is. I want my car to run right and it hasn't since I blew my old motor upover 7 months ago. What are the chances I blew my pcm up? Anyway to check this or is it repair the wiring and check for other issues then? I have learned to read a multimeter however due to this. I want my car to run good so badly it's not even funny I have to vent 8,500 dollars and this is all I have to show for it as of now a dead bird in my garage not to mention it's 100 in gas just to get it to the shop but this will be my gazillionth time towing it back there... When is the new camaro coming out?

Quick Reply: Alternator / exciter wire / backfire / now this!