General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Interior mirror lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Interior mirror lights?

I've done a search, but to no avail! This is really bugging me and has been happening the last few months.
First thing is.
A: When the hatch is open (doors locked, no key in ignition) the interior lights would come on then fade after a minute or so (hatch still open) now they stay on till i shut it.
B: When we go for a drive & pull in somewhere! Turn the ignition off! The mirror lights would dim, then about 5mins later! Come back on & flicker randomly like the car was possessed! does this more if the sterios on, but fades & stays off! if the keys are removed!
I've read of lots of people having similar problems but not really a solution! Oh! & When the lights randomly come on you can hear a mad buzzing coming from the driver door! Checked all the plugs & batterys fully charged!
The only thing i've done recently & i'm sure these were after! is cut & splice/solder wires, for wire mod, checked and insulated each individual wire (2 weeks ago)& Removed the air pump a couple months ago.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost sounds like youve got a wire touching something. Id re-check your wireing.

I know thats not very indepth, but sounds like you did something funky.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driver's "door position" sensor going bad?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Driver's "door position" sensor going bad?
Mmmm! I don't know! How would I tell?There is a crazy buzzing noise coming from the drivers door! I was goona check that first to see if I hadn't trapped a wire from when I Changed the window motor.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterV8
How would I tell?
Lites do crazy things, like comming on with the door shut-or not comming on with the door open, remote hatch release won't work with the door open and engine on (position sensor thinks the door is closed) Or remote hatch release works with the door shut and engine on (shouldn't work unless its in park (auto) and/or the parking brake is on - M6).

Thats off the top of my head, there may be a couple more.