Brown Slime In Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

welcome do dexcool haha.
Old 02-09-2009 | 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Your problem is that you waited too long to change your coolant.
No, I just changed and flushed coolant less than 1 year/4k miles. Going to check into it today.
Old 02-09-2009 | 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Just got it changed. They used a cleaning agent and sucked out "orange milkshake". Replaced with coolant, NOT Dex. Hope that takes care of it. I need to be at the Daytona 500 on Saturday!
Old 02-09-2009 | 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

something else you might check is your power steering fluid. Sometimes the power steering cooler will leak and there is a transfer of fluid from one to the other. Pretty common.
Old 02-10-2009 | 06:49 AM
On The Tree

I don't see any lines going from PS to radiator?
Old 02-12-2009 | 10:50 AM
Jedi Master

I've never had any issues with any of my Dexcool cars. Stuff looks brand new still on both of my vehicles.
Old 02-12-2009 | 10:51 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled
Just got it changed. They used a cleaning agent and sucked out "orange milkshake". Replaced with coolant, NOT Dex. Hope that takes care of it. I need to be at the Daytona 500 on Saturday!
Didn't anyone tell you mixing green with dex is not good
Old 02-12-2009 | 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Didn't anyone tell you mixing green with dex is not good
He's not mixing, he's replacing.
Old 02-13-2009 | 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
He's not mixing, he's replacing.
Thank you. Yes, a suitable replacement.
Old 02-13-2009 | 11:57 AM
Launching!

Flush out and change the DexCool at 5 years OR 100k miles, which ever come first!

Failed to do it on my '99 Blazer and it turned to the consistancy of mud by the time I realized. Made sure I got it flushed out and changed at 5 yrs on the SS, and no problems.
Old 02-13-2009 | 03:22 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Run a good flushing agent through it. Flush with fresh water. Refill with 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water.

There are lots of arguments about what's better, DEX or green, but the important thing it NOT TO MIX THEM. Nothing wrong with Dex, just don't wait so long to change it. As you now know, it turns into slime.

This is 100% TRUTH.
Regular coolant - flush every 2 years
Dex - Every 2-5 years, depending on how well your system seals. Worse sealin and harsher conditions = change more often.
Pick your color but DO NOT MIX!

The only problem with Dexcool is it doesn't tolerate air all that well. It builds sludge only in poorly sealing systems. This sound familiar to anyone that's looked at our milk jug reservoirs with shitty caps lately?
Old 02-13-2009 | 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatlCtySS
I've had this 1999 Camaro SS for 4 years now. I do all maintenance/ repairs myself. No Mechanic has touched this thing since I have owned it. Runs beautiful.

Here's the odd thing. I decide to take the radiator cap off today for maybe the third time since I've owned it. (the only thing I didn't regularly check) I'm thinking of doing a flush on it......I notice this brown slime all over the inside of the cap. Alot of it. I run my finger along the inside of the radiator.......there is more stuck to the top. Alot of it. It has the consistancy of jell-o. Smooth, not gritty, and it breaks off smoothly as I rub in between my fingers. There are also fine chunks of this stuff on my plastic coolant dipstick.

I have read that this stuff could be rust, automatic transmission fluid (I have an auto) , engine oil, or gasket material.

I checked all of my fluids.....

I am full on engine oil. it looks clean and is not foamy.
I am full on automatic transmission fluid. It does not appear to have water/radiator fluid in it.
It does not appear to be gasket material
I am not having any cooling problems
There does not appear to be much on an aluminum block engine to rust that much.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP? It almost seems like some liquid gasket material, and if I didn't know better, I would say that it was supposed to be there.
Forget all the coolant talk, where you live all you need is 80% distilled water and the rest Dexcool. Or regular hose water if its good clean water. The whole distilled water thing is way overplayed. I did that for alot of years and for the past 5-6, just hose water. My system is perfect.

My factory coolant was 4 1/2 years old before the system was opened up to install my new engine, it was perfectly clean. If your system is sealed, it'll stay clean and last for 10 years, period.

Make sure its not ths PS cooler or you're just wasting your time with a flush.

Best/easiest way to flush.
Cold engine.
Remove radiator fill cap.
Remove the t-stat. (2-3 minute job)
Put t-stat housing back on. (1 minute)
Take the entire radiator drain valve (petcock) "off", don't just open it. It'll drain faster with it off and thats what you want. ((Buy a new petcock, sometimes they break when you remove them all the way, they're like $2.00))
Take a hose and stick it in the radiator fill cap, running medium to high.
Start the engine.
Let it run for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is running out the drain CLEAR.
When it does your entire system is clean.
Put the t-stat back in.
Put the drain valve back in. Use the new one, what the hell.
Put half a jug of Dexcool in the radiator.
Fill the rest with water. (one bottle of water wetter can't hurt, your choice)
**Let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, to see if the level drops, just to make sure the system is completely full of coolant, if it drops just top it off**

Done.

If your system is sealed, don't mess with it for another 5 years or more.
Old 02-14-2009 | 01:25 PM
On The Tree

wow glad i came across this, made me paranoid and run out and check my coolant (been meaning to anyways), sure enough, brown sludge, looks like my next day off = radiator flush
Old 02-15-2009 | 08:24 PM
Launching!

Run a good flushing agent through it. Flush with fresh water. Refill with 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water.

There are lots of arguments about what's better, DEX or green, but the important thing it NOT TO MIX THEM. Nothing wrong with Dex, just don't wait so long to change it. As you now know, it turns into slime.
Is this where the brown crap comes from?? Mixing the two??? Cuz I have the same build up in a 95 v6. Car seems to run a little on the hot end when idling but seems to cool back down while driving. I changed the coolant a few months ago and put GREEN in but didn't realize that there was a differnece. I'm not sure if the person that had it before me did the same thing but I think he did because it was like that when I got it.
Old 02-16-2009 | 05:42 PM
On The Tree

From what I know, that stuff is supposed to be in there. Comes with it from the factory, a sort of leak stop. Heard it from 2 different mechanics.

Quick Reply: Brown Slime In Coolant!!!