General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire

Okay, this is going to sound a bit stupid, but....

2001 Camaro. Which way around does the spare wheel/tire sit in it's compartment in the trunk? With the outward edge facing side facing towards the body or towards the inside of the trunk?

Mine is positioned with the outward edge of the tire facing in towards the body. The problem is that with it stored that way, the nut that secures it only just starts to tighten up before it reaches the end of the bolt thread. It just doesn't tighten up enough, allowing it to rattle. But when I try flipping the spare over I have the opposite problem and can't quite get the adapter plate and nut onto the thread - not enough of it showing.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

I have mine facing the inside of the car. If you look at the spare from the inside of the car it should look just like it does when being used as a spare if that makes sense.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I have mine facing the inside of the car. If you look at the spare from the inside of the car it should look just like it does when being used as a spare if that makes sense.
Okay, so when you're looking at it it you see the same side as you would see if it was being used. That means mine is probably in the wrong way around, explaining why I can't tighten it up enough. The thread ends at just about the point where the bolt/adapter plate begins to contact the wheel.

I'll flip mine over and try again to get the wing nut and plate on.....It's tough though, because there's only a couple of millimetres of bolt protruding through the wheel with it that way.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, its a PITA getting that spare in there properly, just keeping working at it and eventually you'll get it.

Quick Reply: Spare tire