General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine is dieseling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine is dieseling.

Hi All,

I went to start the car today and it started to make a very strange noise. The noise sounded like bearings grinding or something hitting the serpentine belt. At first I thought maybe it was the water pump but the noise wasn't coming from there. I shut her down and the engine continued to run (about 2 minutes) and the timing was off. It was visibly shaking side to side. The passenger side of the engine was smoking a bit of white smoke which appeared to be towards the rear of the bay towards the firewall.

Once the engine stopped running I checked the coolant and oil levels. The oil checked out okay but the coolant level was extremely low in the radiator. I walked to the rear and observed the tail pipes. There was a great deal of moisture in the pipes as well as on the ground.

Does this sound like a blown gasket? I am going to take it in to the shop in the next few days but didn't know if anyone had any opinions.

Oh, and the car has 113K miles and I change the oil frequently. I drive about 60 miles a day highway.

Thanks
Matt