General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 over heating help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 over heating help

My lt1 that i just bought today is overheating i've hardwired my electric fans to a switch inside the car i think it may be a thermostat but would like a second opinion.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

we need more information...

is it overheating on the highway? or is it overheating idling? both? have you checked to make sure the air dam is present?

have you tried cracking the bleeder screws there is one on the heater hose directly in front of the alternator and another down by the thermostat housing

cracking those while there is pressure in the system will let you know if air is present in the cooling system which will affect cooling

many times crap will build up in front of the AC condenser and block airflow to the radiator and a lot of times between the AC condenser and the radiator itself

when you say overheating do you mean like in the red or what?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenmachineracing
My lt1 that i just bought today is overheating i've hardwired my electric fans to a switch inside the car i think it may be a thermostat but would like a second opinion.
Unless you can scan the car, like said, try rebleeding the system.

Also how many miles on the car AND if on the radiator, driver side, if there is a date of production on the visable upper left corner, then its original and my have leaks.

IF the fans are not turning on then the PCM isnt getting the go ahead to start the fans i.e. the sensor in the water pump if I recall, or the cyl head. One is for the guage in the car and the other the PCM reads.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sensor on the front of the water pump is for the fans and the one on the head is for the gauge.

Check the radiator also for cracks, I just went through this **** with my 94 Z(radiator was cracked).
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Hey sorry it took so long for me to get back been trying everything that you have said. I replaced the thermostat bled the system even drained all of the antifreeze and replaced it. Then I hardwired my fans to a switch inside the car. And after all that i now noticed that my radiator is full of crap such as dirt and grass looks like it was picked up off the ground and thrown in the car. Just wondering what the best way to clean this up would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air hose or pressure washer
Old 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Ok thank you guys for all your help hopefully this will solve my problem if not im thinking I am going to have to replace my radiator.