General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights/Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights/Electrical Issue

Bout 3 weeks ago I noticed that the headlights to my 02 WS6 automatically came on after I turned the **** inside to OFF. Didn't think anything of it and just let it go. Did it again the next day. So I kind of played around with it to see if it was the gears going out. No sound made from the motors and they don't come up and down when I hit the key fob buttons. So most of the symptoms that show its the headlight gears being stripped aren't happening.

So fast forward about a week and they stop going up on their own. Figured it was just something that needed to be worked through the system and its good now. WRONG. It started acting up again last week. I pulled the two fuses that activate the headlight doors to go up in the hopes the lights would turn off since they weren't activated. But the headlights are still coming on even though the two fuses are pulled (both were 15's).

Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what is causing this to happen? I'm out of guesses, and I really don't want to take it to a stealership without at least some things to throw at them if I have to take the car there.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't sound like the classic gear problem since there is no crunching noise. I would take the connection off the headlight switch and look for any burned connections or wires.If no obvious damage is seen, I would check the switch contacts.If you know how to use an ohmeter you should have continuity on terminals J and E when in the on position and lose that when the switch is turned to park and/or off.If either test fails,it's a bad switch.
Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a bad battery that caused my car to tell me in a way i did not understand . of course the tach will go up and down without the car being on . changed the battery and it worked . i read that a battery will not work unless it has like 70% or 80% charge .