General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird no crank/no start condition.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird no crank/no start condition.

Last month my car left me stranded with a no crank/no start condition. I had just stopped at Blockbuster to drop off some movies and less than 5 minutes back at my car, the car would not crank. It was making some weird buzzing noise as if there wasn't enough juice for the key-in-ignition ring tone, no lights (interior and exterior), no radio, no alarm and the gauge needles were slowly bouncing all over the place. My dad came to my rescue and brought some test equipment he has for batteries. He's a mechanic by trade. The battery was fine under load and at rest.

We disconnected the battery, reconnected after a minute or so and everything was back to normal. Car started up fine and I was on my way. Needless to say I kept the little 8mm wrench so I can disconnect my battery if it happened again.

Well, today it happened twice; same symptoms as before. Once in the afternoon when I was about to head out, and later tonite after I had just got done changing the oil. I disconnected the battery both times, reconnected it in less than a minute and I was on my way.

On my previous '97 Z28 I had bypassed the Pass-Key with a RadioShack resistor because it also did this no crank/no start at times. BUT the difference between my '02 and '97 is that the '97 would still not start if I disconnected the battery for however long and the Security light would come on; it would eventually crank and start after the Security light went away after letting the car sit for 15-plus annoying minutes.

Any ideas what this could be on my '02 T/A? It appears the previous owner replaced the battery and alternator, aside from that the car is stock. Is the Pass-Key/V.A.T.S. different on an '02 and a '97? Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have a problem where mine sometimes won't crank at all, or anything. but i have lights, radio etc. If i keep trying it for awhile it will eventually start flawlessly. Kind of weird. And my left turn signal stopped working for awhile, when i use it it just stays solid. now it works again. weird ****.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I have a problem where mine sometimes won't crank at all, or anything. but i have lights, radio etc. If i keep trying it for awhile it will eventually start flawlessly. Kind of weird. And my left turn signal stopped working for awhile, when i use it it just stays solid. now it works again. weird ****.
I think your problem is similar to my '97. Do you have the Security light come on when it won't start? If so, it's probably your Pass-Key system.

As for your turn signal, I swear GM went with the lowest bidder for the exterior lighting on these 4th gens. My T/A's turn signals also goes inoperative at times, but it's because the front housings retain water after driving thru puddles and the bulb sockets get soaked and short out the bulb, or they start to work again after the socket dries out a bit.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its possible the two wires inside the column for the VATS broke; that is what happened to my SS...stranding me and I had to have it towed home. I had a local locksmith replace the ignition switch in my driveway. The locksmith had a box that by-passed the VATS system. If the car starts with the box the the VATS is the problem and apparently GM has problems with the wires in the columns.

Quick Reply: Weird no crank/no start condition.