General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car ticking after plug change

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car ticking after plug change

did my plugs 2 weeks ago and got the dreaded tick 3 days ago...happend to me before and thought it was the gasket that goes on the A.I.R. tube...so i went today to Landshark Chevy and purchased 2 gaskets. I noticed that the passengers gasket was broken...so i replaced em...i go to dominoes pizza and boom i hear it again...

either my car aquired the mighty piston slap(car has 80k miles and only has the startup slap for 3 minutes)...or could it be a loose wire?? I know the plugs are in tight because i triple checked everything....but i kinda had a hard time putting the #8 wire in...it wouldnt "snap" in to the coil pack but was snug...could this be the problem?? I heard the tick comin from the passengers side...

it started raining so i couldnt really check anything...any ones guess to what else it could be and what else i can check for?? Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2003, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: car ticking after plug change

Might not be related to the spark plugs at all, unless something came loose. I found that the #8 plug wire is the easiest the access from under the car, unless you have big arms. A couple thousand miles ago my car figured out it was supposed the have piston slap, so now it has it

Good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Probably just a loose plug wire? Check em' all again!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

like Z28fiend said, check all the wires again; the #8 wire is probably loose. good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Launching!

ok im such a dumbass

first of all, i unscrewed the AIR pipe from the passenger side...and took off the new gasket i had and set it aside...then I proceed to check the wires. #4, #6, were loose...i put some force on it and they clicked in...#8: everything is as tight as it could be. so i go back to put the gasket back on...and you know what I see?? the NEW gasket was on top of the OLD gasket! LOL...thats what I get for tryin to change em out when the sun is setting and thundering outside ...so I had 2 gaskets and they were not seeling correctly...I turned the car on and heard the ol' mornin tick...and its not comin from anywhere near the wires or air tube, but more toward the middle of the engine...so i let the engine warm up for 3 min or so while i go inside to wash my hands...and take the car out for a spin...i hear nothing...let the engine full warm up take a few more laps...and now the tick is gone So I think 1) the wires were probably arching because they were not put in all the way and 2) gasket was not seeling properly.

thanks for any help/suggestions u guys gave me..
Old 09-06-2003, 05:10 AM
On The Tree

Are you sure the plugs are all tight? I´d check that first.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea those plugs have so many little steps that if you rush you will miss some. I learned myself this weekend just changing the wires. OMG what a PITA!! First I lost a bolt into the chasis, then I forgot to tighten a wire, then I stripped a bolt!!What else would go wrong???? LOL but in the end Thank God It was all OK. Just take your time, I hate the passenger side !!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I almost took a torch to the exhaust manifold to get to #8. j/k

Quick Reply: car ticking after plug change