General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

small oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small oil leak

Hello all, i seem to have a bit of a developing problem. An oil leak. When the car is hot, and at idle you can smell oil residue(or hot oil smell) coming from the undercarrage. i did the old cardboard trick, drove the car for about 30 mins. then let the car sit turned off with a piece of cardboard under the car. The results were i got one drop and hanging from the car..a dingleberry drop. There seems to be an oil wet spot in the middle. What am i looking at? Where should i start as far as finding the culprit? Thanks for an help posted.Duece
Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a little oil drop form from around the alternator lower bracket?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have what I believe to be the same thing, a rear main seal leak. I RARELY see a drop on the ground when I park it, but there is always a dingleberry drop. I have oil blown back on my oil pan, and around that whole area just a light glaze of oil. I go through ~.5qt every oil change so its not too bad.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
I have what I believe to be the same thing, a rear main seal leak. I RARELY see a drop on the ground when I park it, but there is always a dingleberry drop. I have oil blown back on my oil pan, and around that whole area just a light glaze of oil. I go through ~.5qt every oil change so its not too bad.
I got that problem too, i keep thinking its coming from the motor oil filter or the bolt from the oil pan drainage but i tighten them good and still looks damp there. Havn't traced it either.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought I had what seemed to be a small oil leak. Turned out it was every possible gasket imaginable. I replaced my rear main seal along with the rear cover gasket, followed by the valley cover gasket. Then finally the oil pan gasket. After all was said and done, I discovered it to still be leaking around the oil pan. Well, turns out some of the bolts were not getting torqued correctly, but stretching until I finally broke one. Those bolts arent the greatest in the world. Probably going to get some ARP ones in the future. So far, it hasnt leaked anymore. Thank God!!

Quick Reply: small oil leak