General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car smoking?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car smoking?????

i have an issue with my car smoking out of the oil fillerneck breather.. I have steamlike snoke coming from my vavle cover at the breather on the passenger side valve, my car doesnt smoke out the pipes, only whne i really get on it... It is turbocharged also, but even then it is vague black smoke. anyways, when it is idiling it comes out the breather and when i pull the dipstick at idle it smokes also.... the smoke puffs with the idle also... I checked the plugs and oil, no froth or tell tail signs of blown headgasket. \
I am going to do a compression check tonight but just looking for tips or similar probs.. Oh and it fucked up after i raced a bike from a stop to 95... it was a good race and no power loss, however i lost some radiator fluid thru the cap too... Any ties to the current prob i am having? i added fluid and it hasnt blown any yet.. this was 5 days ago it messed up for the first time this season.... Any advivce would be appreciaited, thanks all..

Jeremy
Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Default none

oh and i had some oil leaking out of the filler neck at the valve cover also from the pressure..... not much just noticable amount

Jeremy
Old 09-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Well i have seen alot of old SBC truck engines that smoke out of the breather and fill cap. Usually they were burning oil. If oil is comming out of your fill cap i would say that your engine is building pressure, inside the oil pan. Is the breather clogged? Also it could be a bad head gasket and the piston are building pressure up and it is escaping into the oil pan. I would say start with the compression check of the cylinders.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Usually it is blow by.

Check the compression, see what you find.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a cracked ring. friend of mine has an sts turbo on his lt1 and it does the same thing. do a compression test, and then a leakdown test. thatll tell you what it is