General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help headlight motor

Well my headlight motor started grinding and now it wont even go up or down anymore...

I was gonna replace the gear today but is it too late?

Is the motor itself gone now or is the gear just stripped to hell?

THANKS!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like the gear itself is just utterly destroyed. Its not to late to replace the gear. A suggestion however... I replaced both of my headlight motors gears with the brass gears some time ago. I used the epoxy that was sent with the gears. Last weekend my drivers side motor came apart because the epoxy failed. I put it back together with JB weld and used a few zip ties to hold it in place as well. I also used epoxy to fix the metal sleeve on top of the motor in place so that it would have almost no chance to twist and destroy my brass gear. That solution will make more sense to you when you read the install guide for the brass gear that mentions this problem. My suggestion is to simply use a stronger epoxy the first time so that you do not have to redo it months later the way I did.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have somebody cycle the lights on/off and try to see if you see the top part of the motor turning (the part you would turn manually). If it spins just replace the gear. If it doesn't you need to troubleshoot, see if you have power coming into the motor. Corrosion tends to develop in the harness for the headlights. Need more info read my sticky....