General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service engine soon...Damnit

Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service engine soon...Damnit

Alright guys and gals...here it goes...I just recently became the pround new owner of a 98 Camaro. I have spent the past three weeks undoing all the crap the previous owner did....And I wont even get specific becasue this site doesnt have enough memory to hold what I have to say about that guy...however....when picked the car up , the Service engine soon light was on. And he said that it was on because of the O2's....or should I say the lack there of....he had a **** poor excuse for a ORY made for it...and again I wont get into it..not enough time...but in doing this he left the front O2 dangling over the trans cross member...and he just unplugged the back one...its MIA..So I purchased a set of O2 sims from a memeber of this site...went to my buddies shop installed the Sims and put it on the scanner and not only did it bring up the O2's but it also threw a Knock sensor code.....My buddies said that its common for those things in LS1's to act up....he said pull the intake and they are right there....OK...now finally to my question...when I pull the intake I dont want to put the LS1 intake back on it....I would like to put a LS6 intake on it...however...since I have that EGR in my current intake wouldnt throw an EGR code if I put an LS6 intake on it...My inspection is coming up here in a couple of months so I need to get all this stuff lined out soon......

Thanks,

Jason
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks man but to answer your question yes removing your EGR is going to throw a code. The only way you could put a LS6 manifold on it is to buy the one from SLP with the provisions for the EGR but it's big bucks compared to a used one. I'd put the LS1 back on and get your inspection done then go to the LS6 and get it tuned out.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a kit from Lingenfelter (I believe) and drill a hole in your LS6 intake to accept the EGR pipe.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an LS6 would be nice, but for your particular situation i'd keep it simple and put an LS1 back on.

Search this Thread