General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this my tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this my tie rods?

Alright, so ever sine I got my car it's been doing this. If I hit the brakes hard, turn my wheel all the way, and just now coming home, I turned my wheel all the way, and when my front tires hit my driveway I heard a loud noise from the front. You can feel it too. its like a loud CLICK/Clank sound from the tire area.

Recently when i had the front of my car off the ground I did the "3 & 9" position on my tires and they had a little play in them. Also when i'm driving over potholes or some bumps when I hit the brakes, sometimes the car gets pulled around.

What should I do here?
Thanks guys
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take and try moving the wheel 12 and 6. that would check the wheel bearing. Also take the wheels off and and try to move the stearing rack arms and watch the tierod ends for excessive move ment. When the wheel put a jack under the A arm and jack it up slighty to take some pressure off the suspention and try to move the spindle/ wheel hub... Watch the upper and lower ball joints for movement.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was going to say. Kind of sounds ball joint related.

Take a closer look, if something is fucked - it won't be that hard to spot.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

tie rod is side to side ball joint is up and down play
Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If tie rods were the issue you would hear loud, annoying creaks every time you turned the wheel or hit dips and such.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96blackta
If tie rods were the issue you would hear loud, annoying creaks every time you turned the wheel or hit dips and such.
not always... that sounds more like a sway bar endlink what you described... check all your ball joints, and tie rods if the boots busted even if it aint worn out it will soon be with moisture and stuff getting in...

you can buy a whole kit (endlinks, inner/outter tie rods, upper/lower ball joints for $89-95) I'm putting it on my 2000 along with all my suspension upgrades and poly bushings... its worth it if you are gonna keep the car awhile and dont want to deal with annoying **** down the road