General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another oil question

alright its getting time for the second oil change in my car since ive had it. i bought it off a guy that just took it to the local oil change place and didnt know what type of oil they had been using...as a suprise my mother bought the first change for me and she had 5w 30 non synthetic oil in...now i dont know what was in it previously mind you so that worried me but what can you do i was driving it for a week when i told the oil change had been done

so basically i wanna go synthetic and keep it synthetic it has 60k and runs really strong still i just wanna do whats right but i keep hearing you shouldnt go back in fourth and im worried i already mightve been pushing my luck........anyone know what to do?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
alright its getting time for the second oil change in my car since ive had it. i bought it off a guy that just took it to the local oil change place and didnt know what type of oil they had been using...as a suprise my mother bought the first change for me and she had 5w 30 non synthetic oil in...now i dont know what was in it previously mind you so that worried me but what can you do i was driving it for a week when i told the oil change had been done

so basically i wanna go synthetic and keep it synthetic it has 60k and runs really strong still i just wanna do whats right but i keep hearing you shouldnt go back in fourth and im worried i already mightve been pushing my luck........anyone know what to do?
In my opinion, stay with regular oil, synthetic is a waste of money.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put "synthetic oil" in the search box and came up with 233 PAGES of threads mentiononing synthetic oil.

I suppose out of all those threads your question would be answered at least 43 times.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

If your concern is that you want to go more than 3.5K miles or more without changing the oil then go with syn.

Otherwise use regular oil.

The biggest thing you need to worry about is what oil will give you the proper lubrication under the driving conditions you see 90% of the time.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
I put "synthetic oil" in the search box and came up with 233 PAGES of threads mentiononing synthetic oil.

I suppose out of all those threads your question would be answered at least 43 times.
theres no need to be a dick

im clearly new at this forum and thats east to tell all i had to do was look at my number of posts
Old 10-11-2008, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If your concern is that you want to go more than 3.5K miles or more without changing the oil then go with syn.

Otherwise use regular oil.

The biggest thing you need to worry about is what oil will give you the proper lubrication under the driving conditions you see 90% of the time.
not really trying to take it to 3500 everytime i normally change all my vehicles around 2500 i just have had a pretty crazy month and didnt get around to it and im not the take it to the shop kinda guy...i just wanna do right by my car on this next change but thanks for the input its appreciated
Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Use whatever you want. I use 3qt's Walmart Super tech synthetic and 3 qts RP mixed every oil change. Why? Why not
Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

not really trying to take it to 3500 everytime i normally change all my vehicles around 2500 i just have had a pretty crazy month and didnt get around to it and im not the take it to the shop kinda guy...i just wanna do right by my car on this next change but thanks for the input its appreciated
Wow 2500? You must be WOT 100% of the time.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Wow 2500? You must be WOT 100% of the time.

LOL . . . Too funny. . . It's a dyno test muel.

Change your oil every 3k and use conventional - Or, use what ever you want.

Maybe, I will start changing my oil every 2500 miles then my engine will last for ever. . . . < THIS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

If you have a access of cash send it to me. < I am broke.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by samson_420
LOL . . . Too funny. . . It's a dyno test muel.

Change your oil every 3k and use conventional - Or, use what ever you want.

Maybe, I will start changing my oil every 2500 miles then my engine will last for ever. . . . < THIS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

If you have a access of cash send it to me. < I am broke.

ha im broke too im not changing it all the time because im a baller or anything like that lol just tryna baby my ls1 is that so bad? and besides changin my oil at 2500 will atleast prevent me from runnin it to 3500 like i just did

i was just asking about synthetic because some people swear by it others say it doesnt matter
Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Taking your oil to 5k is very reasonable with todays oil.

My Lexus only gets oil changes every 5k, has 120k and runs like new - Only on conventional 5w-30.

If your car burns oil is when you need to watch it, and not use synthetic at all.

My z28 gets it oil changed every 6 months which only equals about 1k for me. I never drive it.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

If you want to change to synthetic, just go ahead. It won't hurt anything. Advice about not changing to synthetic in an engine that has been running conventional oil does not apply to modern engines with close tolerances.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
If you want to change to synthetic, just go ahead. It won't hurt anything. Advice about not changing to synthetic in an engine that has been running conventional oil does not apply to modern engines with close tolerances.
My local dealership states the same thing. Switching to synthetic is fine but vice versa isn't recommended. 3,500 miles is not bad between changes and don't worry about it unless you are WOT all day long.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghardester
thats what ive been thinking all along but i just wanted to make sure thanks again!

and i chose synthetic
Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

theres no need to be a dick

im clearly new at this forum and thats east to tell all i had to do was look at my number of posts
Not a dick, and being a newbie is no excuse. Simply giving you valuable advise. Take some initiative and use a search first. Not to mention the HUGE wealth of information you would find...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

consider this about synthetic oil: what is the definition of "synthetic" oil in practical realistic terms? More importantly, what is the standard that allows an oil to be called or labelled "synthetic" ? the answer is there isn't any standard, at least to my knowledge and I follow the oil industry somewhat through publications like machinery lubrication, noria, and lubes 'n greases magazine. They've had some good articles on this, however bold an oil marketer wants to be is what determines it.

modern engines with close tolerances
what does this mean? tolerance means an acceptable degree of variation, such as a tolerance of +/- 0.0005". The real thing that would matter is clearance and the freaking clearances on main and rod bearings is pretty much all the same, or at least follows a rule of thumb based on shaft diameter that's within the bearing. Too much bullshit and misinformation going around on oil, viscosity, and synthetic!

justwannagofast95- you want a good oil use mobil delvac 15w-40 or chevron delo 15w-40. As long as your not doing a cold start in less than ~20F weather that oil is the most economical in the 4 quart jug and has the viscosity and additives to provide best protection. You'll want a heavier oil, as in 40wt, when the engine is hot and the oil temp is in the 200-250F range which it normally is- i know I have an oil temp gauge.
A synthetic is only useful if you need cold weather performance, such as cold starts at 0F or less otherwise a conventional 5w-30 is just fine; and only when you know you will have high oil temps such as if your in the Southwest in 120F ambient temps in stop & go traffic and your radiator fans are screaming on high. Otherwise, normal wear, dirt, combustion blowby, and moisture affect synthetic oil no different than conventional and these factors are what require an oil change- the fact that a synthetic can go 20,000 miles without oxidation is fine but the normal wear particles and normal dirt ingestion is what's doing the harm that only either an oil change or extra (expensive) filtration can remove.
And, i've been running delvac 15w40 for the past 20000 or so miles and have oil analysis from blackstone to back up it's use, mine car gets put away for the winter and only sees around 5000 miles use from June to Nov.