Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EWP installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EWP installed

Installed the electric water pump today. I used one of the ABS power wires near all of the fuses to get the switched ignition power that I needed. I'm not going to put a thermostat in until it starts cooling off outside. I was kinda surprised that even with no t-stat it ran like 180 or higher still. I guess it just has too small of a radiator. I had to grind the bottom of my TB cam like it suggested in the instructions, and I also had to grind a little big of plastic off the intake to get it on there. I have .030 milled heads, but even then it didn't need much material taken off.

The PCM got reset from having the battery disconnected and the car always acts insane getting used to the cam for like 25 miles of driving whenever that happens. That was fun, as always.

Here's something strange for you. When I went out for the initial test run with the pump, I was driving down the road and I look down and notice the tach wasn't working. It was just sitting at zero. Before I could say what the hell's wrong with that thing it started working again. Did this twice more. It would just drop to 0 for a second and then start working again right away. I also have SES light. I checked under the hood and all the wires that I had apart are connected. I don't know what to think until I can read what that code is.

Jordan
Old 09-13-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: EWP installed

Without a thermostat the water flows too fast through the rad, the rad is to help cool the water but if it's moving through rad too fast it won't have time to cool down. JMO

Al
Old 09-14-2003, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Yah, I'll agree with that. The main reason why I didn't install a thermostat is so I can run the pump and the fans at the track and rapidly cool the engine down between passes.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the speed of the coolant has anything to do with it. The restriction of the thermostat creates a pressure that keeps coolant from boiling. If the pressure gets low enough for the coolant to boil it will create pockets of gas that don't conduct heat away from the heads fast enough and you'll get hot spots. That's the theory anyway.