Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Powerflo Catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If you had a dollar for every word you just typed you would have purchased the slp by now

Hahaha tell me about it...lol. I definately had loose lips when typing it
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Default The Xanny's made me do it!!! LOL

Sorry about that all...i was actually getting sleepy in the middle of typing it..lol.
Thats what those damn xanax do to ya everytime But long story short, haha, its a well designed CB that will work on a stock motor or a modded motor. Definately money better spent then a certain intake what will cost you almost double when its all said and done for maybe the same power increase, but only if you get it ported
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If you had a dollar for every word you just typed you would have purchased the slp by now
Well in all fairness i've only posted around 550 times total so you got me beat
over 4 times with over 2,100 post...lol. So if i added up all those words i could buy more than just a few cat-backs..lol. Just having alittle fun with ya, dont mean no disrespect honestly. I just wish this damn recession and economy would get better already so i can feel comfortable about spending money on the car.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 10-28-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 214 Likes on 95 Posts

Seems like there is no compelling reason to spend premium money
on SLP's new catback system. To date there is no evidence that it makes any more power than Magnaflow/Hooker/Rumbler etc.

10% GP discounts def help but I cannot justify spending nearly $700 for a hope that it might make more power than my Magnaflow c/b. I guess I'll take my money and slap the N20 back on my ride and know another 150hp is on tap.

It's funny how some companies make ya feel like you don't want to buy their product...

Last edited by cdubbzz; 10-30-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cdubbzz
Seems like there is no compelling reason to spend premium money
on SLP's new catback system. To date there is no evidence that it makes any more power than Magnaflow/Hooker/Rumbler etc.

10% GP discounts def help but I cannot justify spending nearly $700 for a hope that it might make more power than my Magnaflow c/b. I guess I'll take my moeny and slap the N20 back on my ride and know another 150hp is on tap.

It's funny how some companies make ya feel like you don't want to buy their product...
I know what you;re saying..but as far as i know SLP hasn't posted any numbers....buy i could be wrong about that. And i still go back to my early statement that guys are still buying the Borla which cost even more than SLP. And it's $630.00 after the GP. Thats still high i agreee, but look at its design, there aren't going to be too many systems out that can out flow it.

And you are right about how it seems that companies make ya feel like you
dont want their product....Once i heard and seen the new SLP CB i was blown away over the pricing...i mean its nice and all but damn $700 is alittle high but they still put the pricing alittle out of reach, especially knowing how bad the economy is.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 10-30-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMMG > *

Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

I know that the Magnaflow system is nice, but 2 weeks ago i saw a camaro with
the system on it and i wasn't impressed at all. The tips kill its looks and its alittle to quiet. Thats when i saw this new SLP kit i thought it would be great, nice dual/dual tips,
dual mufflers, all t-304 steel....but $700 before the the GP is high. Other than the Borla or maybe Corsa theres not too many hi-flo stainless steel CB systems out there.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I know that the Magnaflow system is nice, but 2 weeks ago i saw a camaro with
the system on it and i wasn't impressed at all. The tips kill its looks and its alittle to quiet. Thats when i saw this new SLP kit i thought it would be great, nice dual/dual tips,
dual mufflers, all t-304 steel....but $700 before the the GP is high. Other than the Borla or maybe Corsa theres not too many hi-flo stainless steel CB systems out there.
I like the design so might stop by Mufflex and see what the cost would be for a similar setup but w/ 3" I pipe & dual 3" outs...and no resonator

Either way the N2O will be a definite...
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn Dennis, you really are pissed about the FAST intakes.... let it go buddy. No one is making you buy one. As for this catback, I might be more likely to buy it if it weren't made by SLP. SLP charges corvette premiums for everything including their dyno's just because they're SLP.

I like my magnaflow, and now since I've switched the tips, I've got no reason to change. I remember seeing how the magnaflow only lost 2hp vs. a cutout on a 450rwhp car by Rapid Motorsports. Seems pretty good to me and it's nice that it's quiet at idle and cruise.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Damn Dennis, you really are pissed about the FAST intakes.... let it go buddy. No one is making you buy one. As for this catback, I might be more likely to buy it if it weren't made by SLP. SLP charges corvette premiums for everything including their dyno's just because they're SLP.

I like my magnaflow, and now since I've switched the tips, I've got no reason to change. I remember seeing how the magnaflow only lost 2hp vs. a cutout on a 450rwhp car by Rapid Motorsports. Seems pretty good to me and it's nice that it's quiet at idle and cruise.
any pics of the tips?
*edit* found them on your fquick link

Last edited by cdubbzz; 10-30-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Bri...true that the Mag. CB has a good muffler. I've just thought about
buying just the # 14267 muffler and have it welded inplace of the stock muffler. This way i can still reuse my stock SS tailpipes which look pretty good. My only concern would be how much power i would loose by not using
the 3" piping, even thought our pipes are 2.75", not that big a difference i guess. But when i was over Tommy's he had a car there with a Mag. 3" catback and it was alot quieter than i would want. I hate the SLP cost but i like the looks and sound of the system. Still after the $630.00 GP pricing it puts in pretty close to the premium t-304 systems like borla, corsa, GMMG and the TSP dual stainless catbacks.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

See, I like the quiet nature of the magnaflow. I can start the car, and cruise out of the neighborhood without too much drama. But with long tubes, off road ypipe, and heads / cam, going above 3000rpm and half throttle is pure music.

Just like you're not into engine 'beutification', I'm not into being loud just to be loud, if that was the case, I'd put an electric cutout in not for the added 2-3hp, but for the volume it would add.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the old slp powerflo(dual dual) i love it and performs extreamly well. kinda quiet but thats why i have cut outs if i want loud. best thing i ever did for my exhaust was switch out the borla for the slp dual dual
Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

See, I like the quiet nature of the magnaflow. I can start the car, and cruise out of the neighborhood without too much drama. But with long tubes, off road ypipe, and heads / cam, going above 3000rpm and half throttle is pure music.

Just like you're not into engine 'beutification', I'm not into being loud just to be loud, if that was the case, I'd put an electric cutout in not for the added 2-3hp, but for the volume it would add.

i know what you mean, but the new SLP system isn't nowhere near as loud
as my borla with the medium plate in there...but with the FLP cats in place my exhaust sounded sweet...i miss that sound...to me the Mag. was way to quiet...i like to hear the beat from the cam without having to use any tricks like cutouts you know, but i noticed that when you start to up the revs. the Mag. sounds really refined...the SLP is just alittle more aggressive. But since i'm only going with a GT2-3 blower cam the SLP system wont be too obnoxious i'm guessing. But if i change to n/a i would look at other systems as well not just the SLP but i would most definately not use the Mag. ugly tips...eeek! Plus with the cam Predator-Z spec'd for me i know my car with the Vig.3200 will talk And just so you know i'm not into loud, i just think our cars shouldn't sound like a Honda...lol. ttyl Bri.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

When i had my '99 SS M6 i bought the Random Tech. stainless CB..That had a nice
deep rumble and sounded awesome at WOT. Plus it fit like a glove. They took their time
and made every bend just right. Very similar to the magnaflow.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BLACKTAWS6
I think the problem is that nobody wants to pay $700 for an exhaust when you can get a Magnaflow for much less. I would buy the Magnaflow, but lots of people complain that its too quiet. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
I have a magnaflow with long tubes and no cats and it is definitely not "quiet"...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a magnaflow with no headers yet and its pretty loud. i cant wait to hear it when i have headers.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Default Magnaflow

^^Man thats good to hear...i like the flow numbers of the Magnaflow CB i just hate the tips and the fact that the hangers are welded to the tips But its hard to beat New Era's price on the Magnaflow CB...when i was thinking about going with this system i was wondering if you can use a cut-off wheel on the welds that hold the tips to the Magnaflow tailpipes. If thats the case then i can cut the welds to slide the butt ugly tips off the tailpipes and get some nice stainless tips and have them welded to the tailpipes. Cause after hearing some sound clips on LS1sounds.com the Mag. isn't overly quiet when matched with long tubes. It actually sounds pretty damn aggressive So can anyone post how they changed their Mag. tips. I know the 14267 muffler thats used in the f-body kit flows about 900cfm according to the rep. i talked to. Thats great flow. But i'm interested to see how people changed their tips..Thanks.

Den
Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Mag cb w/ 3" bullet cats is fairly loud at first start but quiets down after
it warms up...But damn those tips are ugly and even more noticeable since
my big *** tires make the rear sit higher

See for yourself
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Q...Z28_186919.htm

1:15 for rear sound
2:00min for revs
ugh
Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

I hear ya about the tips..if it wasn't more them i'd own a Mag. system already.
I just hope that if i buy the Mag. and a different set of tips, do the work to have
the new tips welded on, i hope the hell the thing isn't too quiet. I mean i'm not looking for Loudmouth loud but i want to know i have a nice CB back there and i
want other cars near me to know that my car is just another off the shelf SS.lol

Quick Reply: SLP Powerflo Catback