Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Prototype Side Exit Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quick Time
Guys, thanks for your interest in this system. I made this for my car to pass the noise restrictions at the race track when we are not allowed to open our cutouts. To answer some of your questions. There is no issue with ground clearance what so ever. We used oval tubing for the side exit. The muffler is not large and sits under the rear passenger seat. The system is not that loud. Very clean sounding and deep. On my car with a large cam our headers and off road y pipe it passes noise restrictions at the track. I got complements on it the first time out at the track.

So if you guys are interested in this system i need some feed back.

What material do you want it made out of?
Stainless Steel or Aluminized Steel?
Single or Dual Oval Tips?
Do you want a light weight version or a standard version(16 or 18 gauge)
What is a target price for the system you are looking for(please be reasonable)

I also need a stock manifold Camaro to get this rolling. Mine is so far from stock that is not a good test bed. So if you are in NJ contact us.

Thanks
do yous guys make custom exhaust then? mufflex told me that a true dual exhaust couldnt be ran out the back but i know it can, ive seen it before. any pricing on something like this is you have done it before. also i dont know if my car would be any help or not for the side exhaust as it has longtubes on it already but let me know. thanks
Old 11-03-2008 | 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

any more word on this QTP?
Old 11-03-2008 | 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Stainless..... true duals with bullets...and put me on the list.
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:37 PM
Launching!

Stainless steel.
Tips don't matter.
Should work with LT ypipe.
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

I think they are at the SEMA show or getting ready for it. I like to see it ala AAR Cuda style, true dual one one each side.
Old 11-04-2008 | 10:23 AM
Banned

We are at the SEMA Show right now. Going to start working on on a template this month.
Old 11-04-2008 | 10:40 AM
Race your car!

Barry's car sounds really good with that system on it.

I did a 3.5 inch dual side exit on my transam, painted it flat black and you can't even see it unless you pop your head under the car, anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Ground clearance is good, shoot me a PM and I can foreward pic's if ya want ideas.
Old 11-04-2008 | 11:21 AM
On The Tree

I'm interested.

Slightly unrelated, I always wondered why nobody made a setup like the FLP's where you could easily swap cats in and out... like so:

http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/Exhaust/Exhaust.html
Old 11-04-2008 | 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zzzzz
I'm interested.

Slightly unrelated, I always wondered why nobody made a setup like the FLP's where you could easily swap cats in and out... like so:

http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Mods/Exhaust/Exhaust.html
SLP and bassani make this type of system for the mustangs, haven't seen one on our cars.
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Barry's car sounds really good with that system on it.

I did a 3.5 inch dual side exit on my transam, painted it flat black and you can't even see it unless you pop your head under the car, anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Ground clearance is good, shoot me a PM and I can foreward pic's if ya want ideas.
post them in this thread!
Old 11-04-2008 | 05:37 PM
Race your car!

If I knew how to get them on here I would. Shoot me a PM with you re-mail and I can send them to ya if you can get them on here.
Old 11-05-2008 | 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick Time
We are at the SEMA Show right now. Going to start working on on a template this month.
That's exciting news. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 11-05-2008 | 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Photos and setup courtesy of JL ws-6!

I used 2 super 44 flowmaster's, cut the ends off and wended 3.5 inch pipe on, the exhaust is solid mounted with 2 tabs that go to where the diriveshaft loop attaches, and the front has no band clamp, thre's a good picture of how it's held on the header, with a tab on the collector and the exhaust and a small 3/8 bolt with a locknut, the exhaust slides up over the collector about 4 inches, and there's no leaks that are visable after a whole season. I measured the ground clearnace, I should have took a picture showing the measurment, but it was 4.25 inches at the lowest spot, and after looking at how it was done, we could angle the rear pipes up a touch bit and get it to 4.5 to 4.75 with the 3.5 inch pipe, just have to turn the end of the pipe a bit to aim it downward more away from the floor of the car, and it would be perfect.

Last edited by jrob56; 11-05-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2008 | 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

'Quick Time,' how's that template coming along???
Old 11-14-2008 | 10:22 AM
Banned

Have not even started on it yet. We just came back from SEMA and preparing for the PRI Show. Will be working on it it first of the year. Just have other projects that have to get finished up first.
Old 11-14-2008 | 05:19 PM
10 second playa

I like this whole idea about Side exhaust or Side pipes.

I was actually talking to Rick about this at one of the cars shows when he brought out his Firehawk.

It would have to be able to work with LT headers. QTP/Kooks/ARH etc...
Ovoid pipe is the way to go.
I would prefer stainless over alum/steel, but that is just me.
I would want it to be light and it would have to pass the E-town test.
It def has to have an X pipe.
Either one pipe on each side or two coming out on the passenger side.

A nice Flat Black tip would be the hot ticket.
Old 11-14-2008 | 06:29 PM
Race your car!

I can tell you, I have done teh x vs h vs nothing test, and I can tell you in the rpm range that you're in when racing ( 5000 rpm+) it didn't make a ****'s bit of a difference, to the point that the added weight probably makes it detrimental.

You could have the setup that I made done in 3 inch pipe instead of the 3.5 inch stovepipe we used, and it would tuck up a good bit better, there's black ceramis coating that is now available too, so the whole thing would be invisable unless you stuck youe head under the car.

You heard mine, it's loud, but passes etown's tech no problem with a big motor in the car.

Barry could easily make up what I had built, and if can build it in bulk and make it slightly adjustable for people (every car being a little different) I'm sure it would sell.

Hell if he made one in 3 inch and one in 3.5 inch, I'd have bought it from him rather then going to the trouble to make it myself.

Oh, and the oval piping, if you stick with round you will keep the cost down by about 25%, and the ground clearance on my 3.5 round tube setup is decent IMO, oval would have gotten me one more inch probably, but for the $, I didn't think it was worth it. You could drive around with mine and unless you like in hazard county you'd probably be fine.
Old 11-15-2008 | 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Quick Time;10368331]Guys, thanks for your interest in this system. I made this for my car to pass the noise restrictions at the race track when we are not allowed to open our cutouts. To answer some of your questions. There is no issue with ground clearance what so ever. We used oval tubing for the side exit. The muffler is not large and sits under the rear passenger seat. The system is not that loud. Very clean sounding and deep. On my car with a large cam our headers and off road y pipe it passes noise restrictions at the track. I got complements on it the first time out at the track.

So if you guys are interested in this system i need some feed back.

What material do you want it made out of?
Stainless Steel or Aluminized Steel?
Single or Dual Oval Tips?
Do you want a light weight version or a standard version(16 or 18 gauge)
What is a target price for the system you are looking for(please be reasonable)

I also need a stock manifold Camaro to get this rolling. Mine is so far from stock that is not a good test bed. So if you are in NJ contact us.

Thanks[/QUOTE

Make it out of whichever would be less expensive
dual oval tips
16 gauge
$400-$500
Old 12-23-2008 | 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

whatever happened to this?
Old 12-23-2008 | 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

I've always wondered why you guys don't make a stainless Y to match your headers.

Quick Reply: QTP Prototype Side Exit Exhaust???