Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limitations of 1-3/4" headers vs. 1-7/8"

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Limitations of 1-3/4" headers vs. 1-7/8"

I bought my 2002 Z28 new and since it was my first new vechial ever i decided i was going to keep it bone stock... that didnt last too long. I think the fact my car sounded like a honda coupled with the sight of seeing rusty cast iron manifolds bolted to an entirely aluminum block kind of erked me, so knowing I have seen coated ceramic headers fatigue in the past I researched stainless steel headers. I live in the same town as QTP but I heard there were fitment issues which since have been corrected and they are now great headers, but at the time (3 years ago) Kooks was the **** so knowing I was only going to do bolt ons I elected to purchase the 1-3/4 headers. Im quite happy with them. Well now Im researching cams, despite what everyones opinion is, the biggest I can go and will go on stock heads is 224/224-112, loping big cams that **** up the drivabilitiy of my cars is high school, I have a bracket car for that ****. I want drivability with my street car. However I have been contenplating the AFR 205s which would allow an even larger cam, but still using the stock short block. If i did that with my current headers would I be restricting the exaust flow with 1-3/4 diameter or would I have to something I have to comtenplate along with the purchase of heads and tuning software. I really dont want to buy another set of headers if i do heads. Thanx
Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

You'll be fine with 1 3/4's
Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

my qtps fit great, no rubbing or tapping.

and 1 3/4 will be fine for you

Originally Posted by alamantia
I bought my 2002 Z28 new and since it was my first new vechial ever i decided i was going to keep it bone stock... that didnt last too long. I think the fact my car sounded like a honda coupled with the sight of seeing rusty cast iron manifolds bolted to an entirely aluminum block kind of erked me, so knowing I have seen coated ceramic headers fatigue in the past I researched stainless steel headers. I live in the same town as QTP but I heard there were fitment issues which since have been corrected and they are now great headers, but at the time (3 years ago) Kooks was the **** so knowing I was only going to do bolt ons I elected to purchase the 1-3/4 headers. Im quite happy with them. Well now Im researching cams, despite what everyones opinion is, the biggest I can go and will go on stock heads is 224/224-112, loping big cams that **** up the drivabilitiy of my cars is high school, I have a bracket car for that ****. I want drivability with my street car. However I have been contenplating the AFR 205s which would allow an even larger cam, but still using the stock short block. If i did that with my current headers would I be restricting the exaust flow with 1-3/4 diameter or would I have to something I have to comtenplate along with the purchase of heads and tuning software. I really dont want to buy another set of headers if i do heads. Thanx
Old 11-08-2008, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

1 3/4s are just fine for your app I woulndt go bigger until you plan much bigger cubes and higher rpm.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=bandit1;10444201]1 3/4s are just fine for your app I woulndt go bigger until you plan much bigger cubes and higher rpm.[/QUOT

^^^^