Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 with LS1 accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 with LS1 accessories?

Sorry for the repost, but I am putting this one on the Gen IV list also...
I am in the middle of an LS3 install in a 1972 Chevelle. I have a donor engine from a 1999 WS6 (used for mock up, fab, T56 and accessories, etc) and have a new LS3 376/480 in the car. When I went to bolt up the F-body accessory drive (which I assumed would work) the belts do not line up with the crank pully or the water pump pulley (the LS3 stuff is about 1/4" closer to the engine). So now I either have to get an LS3 accessory drive or bolt on the LS1 water pump and pulley to get my F-body parts to work.
Question - since my assumptions are not quite batting 1000 lately, is there any reason the F-body LS1 water pump will not work with the new LS3? Am I better off getting a new accessory drive? All the accessories seemed to work off the donor car - so I don't necessarily want to replace them yet - but I really wanted to keep the brand new LS3 water pump. Any suggestions?

TJR
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

I just found an old post that mentioned all that needs to be done is to pull the pulley out about 3/8" to have it line up. This, combined with an LS1 crank pulley should do the trick. Anyone know how to pull the pulley out without screwing something up?
TJR
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinkys
I just found an old post that mentioned all that needs to be done is to pull the pulley out about 3/8" to have it line up. This, combined with an LS1 crank pulley should do the trick. Anyone know how to pull the pulley out without screwing something up?
TJR
not gonna work,
u have to go with the crank pulley off a fbody and all the accesories.
if u have ls3 accesories, u must use a ls3 corvette crank pulley to run all the accesories correct.
or if can have some aluminum spacers made for the water pump to space it out further used with 2 pairs of wp gaskets may work
Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I have a complete F-body accessory drive, minus the water pump. If the pulley will pull out about 3/8", and I put my F-body crank pulley on, everything will line up. I just want to hear from someone that has pulled their water pump pulley out a bit to line it up with other accessories with some tips on how to do it, and if it is even possible (previous posts have said so without any directions).
TJR

Quick Reply: LS3 with LS1 accessories?