Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

free ram air mod hypothesis.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: free ram air mod hypothesis.

It's real simple. If you have a WS6 then the hood will work as a good ram air system if you seal the gap between the nostrils and the airbox (1-2" gap exisits). The BG ram air kit was designed to seal that gap and create a true ram air affect. You DO NOT want to do the FRA mod. This will disrupt the vacuum style airflow and downgrade your hood to a CAI instead of a RA.

So best way to do it for a TA/Formula is:

1). WS6 hood + BG ram air kit

2). FTRA/SSRA + FRA (you actually do this as part of the installation instructions)

Those will give you a nice ram air affect at higher speeds. If you don't ever want to get the BG ram air kit ($300) then the FRA mod won't hurt or help your performance. The FRA only helps if you have a non-WS6 or if you are going to use an aftermarket kit like FTRA or SSRA.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's real simple. If you have a WS6 then the hood will work as a good ram air system if you seal the gap between the nostrils and the airbox (1-2" gap exisits). The BG ram air kit was designed to seal that gap and create a true ram air affect. You DO NOT want to do the FRA mod. This will disrupt the vacuum style airflow and downgrade your hood to a CAI instead of a RA.

So best way to do it for a TA/Formula is:

1). WS6 hood + BG ram air kit

2). FTRA/SSRA + FRA (you actually do this as part of the installation instructions)

Those will give you a nice ram air affect at higher speeds. If you don't ever want to get the BG ram air kit ($300) then the FRA mod won't hurt or help your performance. The FRA only helps if you have a non-WS6 or if you are going to use an aftermarket kit like FTRA or SSRA.

I have the bg ram air kit on my ws6. What can I use to seal the opening I made for the FRA when I first got the car?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT. Come on guys. What can I use to seal off the hole from when I did the fra on my car?
Old 09-24-2003, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say again, I would not seal it.

If you want to.. try duct tape?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all about the air temperature (and density)! You aren't doing squat to air pressure and very little to velocity or flow by taking out the baffles and sealing the hood. However, you are grabbing the coolest air possible - out in front of the car! That makes a difference!

I still say that the FRA and hood ram air combined makes the inlet charge warmer than the nostrils alone.

Quick Reply: free ram air mod hypothesis.