Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do I need with headder purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else do I need with headder purchase?

I think im gonna try and get in on the LM jet hot headder group purchase but was wondering what else I needed to get. Im going for the off road y-pipe so do I have to get the O2 sims or will it just throw a code and still run fine? And if I do need to get the sims am I going to need the extensions? I was reading about the JET hots and it said they relocated the O2 bungs from the hooker desigin they used. Is there anything else that I will need?

TIA, justin
Old 09-23-2003, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: What else do I need with headder purchase?

You will still run fine w/o the rear O2's. The fronts came with extensions in my Hooker LT kit you will need those plugged in to run properly. The sims do not need extensions because they only need to be connected and tied off. The Hooker's could benefit from the redesign that jet hots have. There was little clearence in some spots so I would go the Jet hot route next time if I could do it again.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot man! Im glad I dont have to buy a pair of $100 sims. And no emmisions for us here in jax! HAHA! But what about gaskets? Are the metal ones that are on there reuseable or will I need to purschase some as well?
,justin
Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Launching!

whatever you do, do NOT reuse the header gaskets. Get all new GM ones, they tend to work the best. I have heard of people having a lot of leaks with reused ones. They are pretty cheap considering how hard they work.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

I would agree, reusing the gaskets is not a good idea. However I used the paper gaskets supplied and that is not a good idea either. Also do not try to use the supplied bolts unless the tips are angle to finD threads easier. I have read to many posts about stripped threads and crossed threaded bolts. I tried using the supplied (Hooker bolts) but found the stock bolts to be much easier. You should find that the Hooker/Jethot design makes for pretty easy install.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I was able to resuse the gaskets on mine with no issues, but get replacement stockers if you are going to replace them don't use the paper ones. And like above use the stock header bolts.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reused same gaskets twice No issues.

i do agree though.. do not use anything but GM gaskets.