Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Msd Super spark coils and Random misfire code

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Msd Super spark coils and Random misfire code

I need help...Here's the deal on what i got if any1 has an idea! I have a 01 Gmc 2500Hd with the 6.0. I have an AEM cold air intake, Granatelli mass air sensor, JBA shorty headers, Hypertech tuner and a set of MSD coil packs i would like to put on it, but when i did the first time it came up with a P0300 - Random/Multiple misfire. So i got new plugs and a set of the MSD 8.5mm wires to go on it. Then the second go round i got a P0300 as well as a P0355 - Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction. So i then called MSD tech support and they said to try and swap the coils out 1 by 1 and see if it made a difference. I proceeded and he said that if i could put a few on there but not all it may be that the PCM was not putting enough voltage to the packs since they throw so much more spark so they sent me a bypass harness that draws voltage straight from the battery to the coil. Well after i installed that the same codes popped up. I have checked all connections, wires and plugs, and have even changed the heat range on the plugs, changed the MAP back to stock, but same deal. I am hoping im not gonna have to rewrite the computer to accept these coil packs. PLEASE some1 be my hero and tell me its something simple!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Its very simple. Those coils are the worst product ever to be released to the lsx community. Swap back to your stockers. They will perform better. Been there.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
on2
On The Tree

Do a search on here. Those MSD coil packs are horrible.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default same problem here

hi i had the same thing it was a cracked coil, and leaking on the exhaust manifold, i put the one stock on and it was solved, i contacted msd and they sent me a new one, problem solved,so look for a crack.

Quick Reply: Msd Super spark coils and Random misfire code