Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry starting issue

so I have had this problem for about 3 weeks and it is killing me. Everytime I go to turn on the car, it will crank fine, but it wont start for about 5-6 seconds. I have to hold the key for a while and finally it will start (for now, it has always started...eventually). Once it does start though, the car runs fine with no problems at all.

The car is a 2000 trans am M6, and since the problem started, I changed all the plugs, wires, and the fuel filter to no avail; car runs better once on though

One thing that I have seemed to notice, the car does seem to start easier if I just turned it off in the last 30 min or so.

Any thoughts? The help is always appreciated as usual.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:46 PM

bump...please help!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

put a fuel pressure gauge to see if your fuel pressure bleeds down.usually you want to start it up.then let it sit for a couple hours or for the amount of time you notice it takes a while to start up again.
most common cause is the fuel pump check valve. its suppose to only let fuel go in one direction. when it fails it lets the pressure bleed down therefore causing a long crank condition. another cause is an injector that hangs open but that will usually cause a misfire or running rough condition also. if you do determine its the fuel pump check valve then replacement of the pump is necessary.almost forgot, cycle the key a couple times before you crank.leave the key on for like 3 seconds or so then cycle it.if it is your fuel pressure, when you cycle the key, the fuel pump will boost the pressure up and it should start right up.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 PM

crap, why would you have to change the pump if its the check valve (I am not sure what this is, sorry)? I am a bit worried because I checked kragen and a pump is $350. I don't have that kind of money right now.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM

I will also check the pressure, what is it supposed to be? Thanks for the help Eddie.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

you have to change the fuel pump because the check valve is built into the pump.
Im not that sure but i believe the pressure spec is somewhere like 55 or 58 psi. but try what i wrote above. i wouldnt be worried about your running fuel pressure because you said your car runs fine after it finally starts. what this tests is if your holding pressure.in case you dont own a fuel pressure gauge, autozone basically rents you tools for free.all they ask for is a deposit and you get it back when you return it.