Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 Ram Air hood help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 Ram Air hood help

Hi i have a 2000 Trans am and i purchased a Volant cold air intake (not knowing what i was doing) and bolted it on. And of course its more of a Ram Air intake so i have an almost useless Intake that i put on. i also dont have enough dough to buy a factory Ws6 hood so i found a fiberglass hood for $250 and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them because without a ram air hood ive wasted my money.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Chances are if its that cheap its a piece of ****. But a brand would be helpful. You can go on ebay and SLP sales "blem" hoods on there some times that got a little damaged in their warehouse. Those usually go for a considerable amount less than retail.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd search around in the Florida Members section of this forum. Post up to see if anyone has a used factory one for sale, I think they usually run around $500 or so. I've read a lot of horror stories when it comes to the ebay hoods. Or you could sell the Volant and buy an air lid for $100 and an FTRA or SSRA (or make your own for considerably less, which is what I did). But if you intend on keeping the Volant I'd recommend shopping around locally to see if anyone has an OEM hood for sale. Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Launching!

you can cut squares in the stock non ram air hood to let the air ram straight in, the ram air hood is insanely restrictive unless modified anyway. After cutting up the stock hood to force the air straight through you will also want to save the pieces for bloock off plates if you get a lot of rain. If you do decide to sell the volant I have an SLP cold air kit up for sale on ebay that works good to get the cold air that comes up from under the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ebar&viewitem=
Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

The Volant doesn't fit to the WS6 hood, It is designed for the sleek beak. With the WS6 hood you will have to use foam to make it seal right. Dont buy a hood unless you want it for the look. You will not gain anything from it.