Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to clean....

Under the manifold, around the head ports (can't think of name right now). I started my ls6 manifold swap today, and when we got the ls1 mani off, it was freaking NASTY around the ports. I want to vacume, but am also worried about knocking junk down into my engine. If I do knock **** down there, how would I clean it out? Soft, wet rag, and get it down in there, and be careful not to scrach inside the heads? I can get pics tomorrow if needed if you guys don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i would plug the holes up with rags or paper towels then get an angle die grinder with a 3m surface prep disc and go to town. it will look brand new.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need to know this as well, ill be doing my ls6 swap in the next couple weeks and definitely want to clean it real well under there.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are **** about it, pull the Rockers off so you close off all the Cylinders, that way you are sure nothing will get in them. Then plug off all the Ports with Rags, and use one of the Prep Disc's like mentioned.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

IDK about the rockers, but pluging the ports will work. If I don't have a prep disc, or a die grinder for that matter, what could I use?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Like the other guys said... Put towels in the Intake ports, Or put some Duct tape over them. I usually use Brakeleen to clean around the ports. Never had one bad enough to need a Die Grinder. Once you block the ports you can vaccum the crap up and then clean the area.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Alright thanks. I'll get that done ASAP. Sick as **** right now, so car is sitting with no manifold on it......I'm just hoping for the best.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

EDIT never mind, I read the post wrong. Taping the ports probably would make it hard to clean around them.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Launching!

When I did my IM swap I just took a shop rag and whipped the **** out of it. Then took a lil bit of break cleaner and whipped the **** out of it some more. Are you talking about the Valley cover was all dirty were your knock sensor is? Or inside the intake ports on your heads?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I did mine I used painters tape to block the ports. Then I used sandpaper to clean the valleycover and brake cleaner for the heads.
Also check you knock sensors ( under rubber boots) to see if any water is in the holes. Then seal the rubber boots with a sealant so water will not go down into the sensors. It's a common problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

I used a rag and seafoam deepcreep. I figured if any got into the intake ports it wouldnt matter because thats where it goes anyway. I did block them off though when wiping all the junk out. That should do it, but if you really wanna go hardcore use the prep disc.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm thinking about using some leave tomorrow or something and getting it done tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Another question. I think I broke the Oil Pressure sending unit. I say I think, because I can't see it lol. I see I think a little part of it at the back of where the manifold was, but doesn't look like the spare that I bought, which leads me to my conclusion. How do I change that unit? Anyone have a write up on it? Thanks again to all those that have helped.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Launching!

You just need a wrench, Can't remember what size. You just take it off like it's a bolt and replace with your new one. I just used a cresent wrench when I did mine...

Look at your gauge in your car. If the sender isn't grounded it will show over 80. That means it's broken. It's really easy to change. So if your gauge is saying over 80 feel the back of the IM on the driver side and you should feel a "nut" which is the top of the part that broke off. Unscrew this and the broken part will come out. Then just unplug the broke sender and plug it into the new sender. You'll prolly have to pull the IM to do this is you already put it back on.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

IM is still off the car. Have to swap over my MAP sensor and the hose that goes to the brake booster, plus clean around the ports and ****. So I just feel for it, and unscrew? I will take a look today afterwork. Thanks. Any pics of it? I know it is hard to take pics in the back of the car, but maybe someone has something.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I have a pic of it. Gimme your phone number and I'll send it via my phone. It's real easy to see with the IM off. It's on the driver side. Will look like a little copper foil circle about the size of a quarter with a big "NUT" around it. If it's broken that is. If it's not it will be about the size of a roll of qaurters, black, with a plug on the top. LMK if you need a pic. I have one of mine when I broke it.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

I don't get picture mail, but I can give you my email addy and you can send it that way. I have a brand new unit already, just incase I broke this one. I'm assuming I did, because I don't see the unit, but I did see a nut. It is like red around it, and doesn't stick up very high. I'll pm you real quick. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

That sounds like you broke it and it dropped somewhere. Its on the back of the block on the drivers side and sticks straight up. There shouldnt be any prob seeing it with the IM off if it was still there. There is a special socket that costs like $10 that makes it easy as cake to get the old one off and put a new one on. I dont know exactly what its called besides an "oil pressure sensor socket".
Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Did you get the picture? Didn't get a responce since I sent.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

yea, my bad, I got it. Thanks man. Yea, it sure is broken. Ill be replacing it tomorrow. Taking leave so I can get it done before the weekend.