Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Clearance

Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Clearance

Anyone know a good way to make a dent long tube headers while they are still in the car.

I spun out on the freeway and hit my LF wheel on a curb. This bent my tie rod and cracked my rack and pinion in half. I got a new rack from autozone and can't get it in. The steering linkage hits the headers just enough that I can't put it back together.

Can the new rack be just a little different to cause this? I am working in a apatment parking lot so I don't have a lot of tools or space. Will I have to take off the headers to make a dent in the tube that is hitting the steering?

Any help is appeciated.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Why wont the new rack clear the headers? What is different from before to now? Is something else bent? Is the rack and pinion the correct one? If you didn't have to dent your header before, why would you have to dent it now?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Teching In

All good questions, the only explainations are 1) the rack is wrong, 2) or the frame is bent, 3) or its some sort of jigsaw puzzle im not putting together right.

I didn't put the headers on originally, but I know they cleared before the accident.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depending on how hard you hit your wheel, your car might be out of whack. Go look at it from a side view from front to back. Call a couple of Autozones and ask them for the part # and see if it matches yours that you just purchased.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Yeah man, I wouldn't go bending ****. If it was on there before if should go on now. Might have the wrong part. Try to find some pics and compare the part you have

Also do what the other guy said and call around and see what part numbers they give you. You can also search for part numbers on here. There is a sticky that has all the part #'s.

Other then that I dunno man!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to know how you spun out on the freeway. I know **** happens to all of us but what happened? Glad you're ok the car can be fixed.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. A local member is going to come try and help me. I called a few places and part numbers match.

Nitroused383- Drag Radials + Lots of Rain + Driving a little too fast = hydroplane

Search this Thread