Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise after header install

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grinding noise after header install

I recently install FLP headers, y-pipe, and off-road pipes. Since then, I have noticed a "grinding" noise everytime I put the car in reverse. It only makes this noise when it's in reverse and not moving or when it's in reverse and moving slowly.

Comments?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: grinding noise after header install

Check your I pipe. Might be hitting the driveshaft.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Launching!

I finally got the time to look under the car yesterday afternoon. Good news, it was not hitting the driveshaft . Bad news, noise seems to be louder and more frequent now (in addition to the noise in reverse, it also makes the noise while I'm slowing down, just before I come to a complete stop). Since my last post, I have grown more accustomed to the "grinding" noise. It's more of a "knock" now. Like someone was literally knocking on the bottom of the car... with a hammer . The noise seems to be coming from where the driver side i-pipe meets the y-pipe (it's the only side I'm having problems with). It's located just under the driver's seat. I don't know how loud it is from the outside, but from inside, the knock itself is louder than my exhaust (headers, oyp, lm) and if you put your hand on the floor, it actually feels like someone is hammering away at the bottom of the car. At first, I thought that the pipes needed some time to settle in and I thought that the noise was normal. But now, I'm starting to worry . The only thing I can think of is (maybe) the pipes are banging against the metal underneath the driver's seat (actually, the pipes are touching the metal). I don't think I can get the clearance there... I've tried. This noise is really starting to irritate me and I would very much appreciate any suggestionss from anybody. Oh, it's an A4, if that makes any difference.

*The edit was to put in the little faces.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it on the driver side??? if so i had the same problem when i installed mine, just lossen everything up, and try to move it around until it no long bangs, tehn tighten it back up

thats what i did, and havent had a problem since
jimmy

Quick Reply: grinding noise after header install